Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Camgreen

Some valid points there DD
thumbsup.png

Tharg2007

Veteran
fossy, you in a group or riding on your own? Im thinking Ill attach myself to a group that's riding at my pace, bound to find one by the time everyone spreads out.

peteoc

we'll be doing it as a group of 4, 100miles.............god help us!! :sad: We're numbered 1007 - 1010 so you're welcome to join us if we match your pace. We're aiming for an avg of 15mph but I reckon it will probably drop down to around 13mph.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
fossy, you in a group or riding on your own? Im thinking Ill attach myself to a group that's riding at my pace, bound to find one by the time everyone spreads out.

I'm on my own, will take the first few miles steady and see how the groups work. I'm intending to get round in about 5 hours if I can (5:15 two years ago). :wacko:

We kept a group together two years ago, but it was left to 4 or 5 of us doing the work. After the stop in Nantwich, I just rode with another lad and we shelled the group - this will happen as there are lots of dips and rises on the way back.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yep, rip-offs and dissatisfaction raining down when it finally dawns on people they've paid to get precisely.....nowt.

Paul, I share your dissatisfaction with this situation, which smells like a con to me. I think it's time these event organisers were exposed a little more to public scrutiny. I believe the popularity of the events will wane as it begins to dawn on the public that in fact nothing is given to the charities and their payment is being used to line the pockets of the directors and shareholders of the organising company while they, the public, rush around collecting sponsorship and giving it direct to the charity in their own time and at their own expense.

For me as a cyclist of many years but only recently discovering the joys of the road, I have done three of these events (Mcr-Blackpool, Mcr 100 and the Cape Argus) and enjoyed every one of them. I appreciated the sheltered environment for my first 60 and 100 mile rides but will probably never pay anybody again to organise a long ride for me as my self-confidence has blossomed; in fact I rode 60 miles on the day of the Mcr-Blackpool but on my own route to Windermere and for nothing. So if these events serve to introduce people to the joys of cycling they will have fulfilled a useful social function as well as giving a much needed boost to the cycle trade. Cycling is enjoying a surge in popularity at the moment, thanks to better publicity, environmental and health concerns and of course the arrival in recent years of more comfortable, lighter bikes with better brakes and gears.

Camgreen

For me as a cyclist of many years but only recently discovering the joys of the road, I have done three of these events (Mcr-Blackpool, Mcr 100 and the Cape Argus) and enjoyed every one of them. I appreciated the sheltered environment for my first 60 and 100 mile rides but will probably never pay anybody again to organise a long ride for me as my self-confidence has blossomed; in fact I rode 60 miles on the day of the Mcr-Blackpool but on my own route to Windermere and for nothing. So if these events serve to introduce people to the joys of cycling they will have fulfilled a useful social function as well as giving a much needed boost to the cycle trade. Cycling is enjoying a surge in popularity at the moment, thanks to better publicity, environmental and health concerns and of course the arrival in recent years of more comfortable, lighter bikes with better brakes and gears.

Must admit in preparing for this I've used Bikely more and more to plot various rides of increasing distance, and indeed, so long as I can draw a route which keeps to minor roads (and I can remember where I'm going) then I will need the know how of an events organiser less and less; that said it's nice to be involved in these bigger events from time to time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's my wife's birthday Monday and much to my amazement I just got a pass out for Sunday, though we are going out for a meal Sunday night. Now I have to decide whether to do the club run, 9.00am start for 80-90 miles plus a cafe meaning I won't get home till 4.00pmish or a 7.00am start perhaps doing the 100k and be home for 12.30? I could earn some serious points here!

Decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

It's my wife's birthday Monday and much to my amazement I just got a pass out for Sunday, though we are going out for a meal Sunday night. Now I have to decide whether to do the club run, 9.00am start for 80-90 miles plus a cafe meaning I won't get home till 4.00pmish or a 7.00am start perhaps doing the 100k and be home for 12.30? I could earn some serious points here!

Decisions, decisions.

It HAS to be the early start - brownie points and a 100 mile ride, you simply can't lose. You can go out with the club any Sunday, and these two planets won't align again......until next year!

Tharg2007

Veteran

Decisions, decisions.
even if you do the 100 mile there's still time to get home have a hot bath and get ready for evening meal too.

Top Bottom