Manchester 100m - 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BinBag

Has anyone done this ride before? I know it's not a race, but I can't help thinking that it's for the road racer, which suits me as I'm looking to step up from the hybrid ridden (as in, I rode a hybrid on it) Mcr to Blackpool.

Is the 30 mins stop really 'compulsory'?

Mcr 100

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Has anyone done this ride before? I know it's not a race, but I can't help thinking that it's for the road racer, which suits me as I'm looking to step up from the hybrid ridden (as in, I rode a hybrid on it) Mcr to Blackpool.

Is the 30 mins stop really 'compulsory'?

Mcr 100

I've done it a couple of times. It's not a race, but there are some fast riders in it. There are also a fair few slower ones. The 30 minutes stop isn't compulsory, I presume they put it in because of Health and Safety, don't want anyone suing them because they didn't have a rest.
I'm not doing it this year as it clashes with the Penny Farthing Race in Knutsford (only watching) only held every ten years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm likely to be doing it, not decided. Fairly flat with a few short bumps (enough to split groups up). If doing 100 miles, set off early and not with the 100km lot - this distance has the 'not so regular' riders in. It gets a bit interesting on the final 30 miles as you mix with the short route - wobbly bobs all over. You can ride it on what ever you feel like.

The only niggle, is despite the entry cost, you get nothing - maybe a bottle of water at the finish. There are 'water stops' and you can buy food - so go with plenty of your own food, and energy drink powder to mix at the 60 mile stop.

They don't enforce the stop - I stopped for a water refill and the loo. Some lads rode straight on at the stop !!

OP
OP
BinBag

BinBag

Cheers for that - I'd heard stories at work that the stop was compulsory, which I didn't fancy. Saying that, the lads I'll be doing it with stopped on the Mcr to Blackpool run 4 times, which was too many for me, so for the 100 I'll have to see how it goes. I don't really want to ruin the mood and team work, but in the same breath I want to do it the best I can - I suppose I'll have to wait for my first sportive to do the proper endurance stuff.

I'll bear in mind the water/food situation as well, so cheers.

the penny farthing run sounds interesting - I might pop down for that in 2020!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'm in too minds whether to enter this this year or not. It clashes with the Wild Edric sportive which I do fancy - just dont think I can be bothered driving to Shropshire at 4am on a Sunday :smile:

If I do the Man 100 though I'll not be paying for it. The Man-Blackpool and last years 100 have put me off giving more money to this bunch.

I'll drop £20 into the Christies charity box and ride for nowt.

Camgreen

I'll be doing the Manc100 along with CycloNick, my better half. Might be wrong, but I seem to remember receiving a Soreen bar, cheap bike computer ..... and water at the finish. I was one of those pesky 100k riders last year, though I don't think I hindered too many "serious" bikers along the way
wink.gif

Think we have a 7.40 start ....... hopefully on the day we'll bring a bit of the drier weather from the Fens with us
laugh.gif

PaulB

Legendary Member
Hang on, PaulB will be along in a minute... ;)

Since I was invited....DON'T PAY THE SCALPING ROBBERS! There. I feel better now. Actually, I WILL be paying this year. You know why? I reckon it's worth about a fiver and I've done two of their events previously without paying and I do reckon one full payment every three times would make it about right. So, there we are.

fossyant

Since I was invited....DON'T PAY THE SCALPING ROBBERS! There. I feel better now. Actually, I WILL be paying this year. You know why? I reckon it's worth about a fiver and I've done two of their events previously without paying and I do reckon one full payment every three times would make it about right. So, there we are.

OMG....................

Likely to do it this year - fixed if weather not too good, or my best bike if it's nice.

In fairness, it is very well marshalled - usually one or two folk on each junction - although they do it for free. Organising these things cost a bit, but I suppose the main issue it 'pretends' to be for charity, but in the small print, this is the entry fee ONLY, you then have to donate/raise more money for any charity contribution.

It's a good day out anyway - the pub at Middlewich by the canal looks very nice, full of totty (for both male/females), but we never stopped last time...too interested in a good time......:tongue:

PMB

I will be doing this I think. I enjoyed the Manc to Blackpool. Are the numbers similar for this?

fossyant

Quite a lot less numbers - still a few thousand. If doing the 100 miles you'll be off by 7.00am and it only get's busy later on when you re-join the 60 mile route.

One point to note:-

If you are thinking of riding to the start for 7.00am, note you'll probably need lights if setting off at 6.15-6.30 especially if the weather isn't fine - I had to wait till the last minute a couple of years ago to set off - way too dark, and the bike I had 'ready' didn't have lights, and my 'clip on flashers' were out of batteries.

400bhp

Guru
If you are thinking of riding to the start for 7.00am, note you'll probably need lights if setting off at 6.15-6.30 especially if the weather isn't fine - I had to wait till the last minute a couple of years ago to set off - way too dark, and the bike I had 'ready' didn't have lights, and my 'clip on flashers' were out of batteries.

Thanks for this info.

You're based in Stretford aren't you?

Are you heading for a 7am start?

Top Bottom