FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 1st June 2018.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It may be the rather delicious and quite frankly moreish, Italian white wine I shared over our evening meal in the sunshine, but I am not seeing a bike reservation option on the TPE web site. One for when the brain cells recover from their anaesthesia. :laugh:

Before @ColinJ advises, try the Hull Trains website, which will allow you to book a bike reservation yet is owned by the same company that operate TPX...

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
It may be the rather delicious and quite frankly moreish, Italian white wine I shared over our evening meal in the sunshine, but I am not seeing a bike reservation option on the TPE web site. One for when the brain cells recover from their anaesthesia. :laugh:

It appears after you've chosen your train(s) and booked seats. There's a drop-down box for bike reservations.
After that, you can pay.
Bear in mind that you can't book bikes on to Northern Rail.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Some Northern Blackpool trains are now running through - but lots aren't and will turf you onto a bus twixt there and Preston. Info on the trains this week suggests this will all be sorted by the end of May though.

I could be interested in this one, trains permitting.

Hope you can make it and also let's hope that the trains are running as promised.
We were victims of the bus replacement on a recent recce for this ride. We ended up going to Blackpool South to get a train to Blackburn (since we didn't fancy getting two bikes onto trains destined for MCR airport at Preston- see above). We just missed the direct train from BBurn to MCR so we ended up going via Todmorden.
IIRC, we got home 4 hours later than planned.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It appears after you've chosen your train(s) and booked seats. There's a drop-down box for bike reservations.
After that, you can pay.
Bear in mind that you can't book bikes on to Northern Rail.

I've yet to meet a Northern Rail conductor who gives two hoots about the number of bikes on a train provided people can still get on and off.
That's not to say a pedant doesn't exist, but the official limit is 2 bikes in a train and I've seen 6 bikes on a crush loaded commuter rush hour train, suggesting a weekend morning should be no problem...

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm in. Tickets bought.

Best news today and it was already a good day.

Domus

Guru
Well, rang Virgin to book bike space as their website suggests, after being on hold for an age was told I cannot reserve a bike space as the journey has two stops and one leg is by bus. :eek:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
That's my train tickets booked. 10.01 out of Blackpool and then join the 10.58 from Preston.
No bike reservations available apparently on the train out of Blackpool, so it will be turn up and see what happens.

Well, rang Virgin to book bike space as their website suggests, after being on hold for an age was told I cannot reserve a bike space as the journey has two stops and one leg is by bus. :eek:
???
Whilst the Metrolink means you cycling home from Manchester, wouldn't an alternative be train from Preston to Bolton, or Manchester to Bolton and ride back through Little Lever?

Domus

Guru
My plan was Cycle back from Bolton all along but the info provided over the phone was anything but helpful.
May call in today at Bolton station and get first hand info.

Domus

Guru
Chap in ticket office said to keep checking. Things are always changing. At present he can offer train to Preston then coach, or Blackpool to Oxford Rd then Bolton. “ Can I put the bike on the coach?” I asked, “it’s up to the driver, some do, some don’t “
No company policy then.

Will check again in a week or so.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Chap in ticket office said to keep checking. Things are always changing. At present he can offer train to Preston then coach, or Blackpool to Oxford Rd then Bolton. “ Can I put the bike on the coach?” I asked, “it’s up to the driver, some do, some don’t “
No company policy then.

Will check again in a week or so.

Ah the replacement bus service. Apologies I hadn't picked up on that.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
An alternative is to go from Blackpool South to Blackburn and change there for Bolton. That's my back-up plan should Blackpool North be subject to bus replacement to Preston.
It takes longer but you'll get there. It might also give you the option of getting off at Bromley Cross which, IIRC, is quite high up and will give you a (net) downhill ride to Radcliffe.
On one of the recce rides, the bus replacements were just that, buses; double-deckers with no space for a bike. I'm not sure how the travellers to the airport managed with their large suitcases. A few were kicking off when they were being told ............

Top Bottom