FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 3rd September 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
To be honest, I don't fancy your chances much! ;)
Hopefully, an anomaly not a precedent…

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi here's a link to my photos and video. Enjoy!
And thanks for the great ride Andrew. 👍

View: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=181YAqffbL0Y7Gn9J8-QHV3dviYkCBC6Z

One for the Fridays website, if they ask you nicely...

robjh

Legendary Member
+1 (acts of Virgin Trains permitting).
Stu, is the Cross Country direct service from Southampton to Manchester of no use to you?

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Since there was only one visit to A&E, I regard this as one of the less eventful Manchester FNRttC.
I'll report that first and then get onto the rest of the ride.

We got to the garage stop a little behind schedule and one of the group managed to bang his leg on a pedal causing a varicose vein to leak a lot of blood, mainly into his shoe. I didn't know anything was going on until I went back outside to get my Garmin and I found Zee applying pressure to the wound to try to slow down the bleeding. I took over applying the pressure while Zee got the first aid kit from the shop and attempted to stop the bleeding with more suitable dressings. We were only able to slow not stop the blood loss and every time his foot was put on the floor, the pressure caused the bleeding to start again. We decided that that he couldn't carry on and he needed to go to A&E to get the wound dressed properly. I managed to get a lift for him to Blackburn Royal from a visiting police officer and arranged for his bike to be left in the garage's stock room while Zee and the other medic on the ride tried to persuade him to go to A&E. Eventually he accepted the lift and we were able to continue with the ride.

Back to the beginning........
My evening didn't get off to the best start when wanda rang me to say she'd missed her train but had re-booked on a later one. I managed to get hold of CharlieB, McWobble and rob and asked them to wait longer at Piccadilly to meet wanda and ride over to Victoria together.

I met Helenb as arranged in Chorlton(CH) and we rode in together to meet the others and to wait for the wanda group. They arrived about 0.15 and we set off into the shambles that is Manchester city centre. I then managed to lose the back of the group after only a few minutes so there was a further delay while we tracked each other down.

After that it was plain sailing through Prestwich Forest Park and in to Bury where we stopped to remember alans/jogler and to leave flowers.
The climb up through Tottington was negotiated without incident as was the nasty dip before Edgworth. Climbing onto the moors, the wind increased a little and the temperature dropped but it was neither misty nor raining. Unfortunately the clouds meant that we couldn't see the stars. We had a short regrouping stop near the top of the climb and then another one when we hit the Grane Road. The descent to Guide and then Shadsworth pays back all the effort taken to get to the top and we arrived at the garage only about 15 minutes later than I'd anticipated.

As I'd hoped, we were able to sit in the empty Greggs with hot drinks and sandwiches. I preferred using the garage over the McDonald's that we've gone to previously and I'm tempted to continue going there even if McD's open the restaurant 24 hours again.
For reasons that should be clear from the “incident”, we spent about about 45 minutes longer at the stop than I'd intended so I was a little worried about what time we'd get to Knott End and hence Blackpool.

As it turned out, I needn't have worried too much. We made good progress even up the climb from Ribchester and through the lanes after Longridge. The “new” part of the route was also covered very quickly and I managed to realise that my Garmin was trying to lead me astray so consulting the OS map was required albeit only once. It's not a complicated route !

I particularly enjoyed the bit along the seawall where we saw black rabbits as well as alpacas and emus. Sadly there were no herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain but we had a sea view: it was between the land and the sky.

The Knott End ferry set off across from Fleetwood not long after we arrived but it only came part way across before it turned around. Cue much head scratching........ A phone call later and we were told that it would be coming across in a little while which it duly did. The group was only 9 strong by this stage so we fitted on easily and everyone appeared to have brought the correct change ! On the other side, our trip down the Prom was interupted by the Park Run so we detoured for a short spell on the road before a triumphant arrival at the Wetherspoons. Sadly, because of the delays en route, Charlie had to go straight to the station to get his train but the rest of us were able to find outdoor seats and order breakfast and then beer. Alternatively, you could look at it all as “breakfast”.

After a multi-course “breakfast”, Helenb and I left to get a train leaving wanda to find her hotel and McWobble to plan his ride home.

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to come along and thanks for your excellent company.
Particular thanks to Zee and John for dealing with the “patient” at the garage and for persuading him to go to the hospital.

Fingers crossed that next year's ride is completely incident free.

I've e-mailed Euro Garages to praise the guy working in the shop and to thank him for looking after the bike.

Last edited:

LucretiaMyReflection

Since there was only one visit to A&E, I regard this as one of the less eventful Manchester FNRttC.

We got to the garage stop a little behind schedule and one of the group managed to bang his leg on a pedal causing a varicose vein to leak a lot of blood, mainly into his shoe. I didn't know anything was going on until I went back outside to get my Garmin and I found Zee applying pressure to the wound to try to slow down the bleeding. I took over applying the pressure while Zee got the first aid kit from the shop and attempted to stop the bleeding with more suitable dressings. We were only able to slow not stop the blood loss and every time his foot was put on the floor, the pressure caused the bleeding to start again. We decided that that he couldn't carry on and he needed to go to A&E to get the wound dressed properly. I managed to get a lift for him to Blackburn Royal from a visiting police officer and arranged for his bike to be left in the garage's stock room while Zee and the other medic on the ride tried to persuade him to go to A&E. Eventually he accepted the lift and we were able to continue with the ride.

My evening didn't get off to the best start when wanda rang me to say she'd missed her train but had re-booked on a later one. I managed to get hold of CharlieB, McWobble and rob and asked them to wait longer at Piccadilly to meet wanda and ride over to Victoria together.

I met Helenb as arranged in Chorlton(CH) and we rode in together to meet the others and to wait for the wanda group. They arrived about 0.15 and we set off into the shambles that is Manchester city centre. I then managed to lose the back of the group after only a few minutes so there was a further delay while we tracked each other down.

After that it was plain sailing through Prestwich Forest Park and in to Bury where we stopped to remember alans/jogler and to leave flowers.
The climb up through Tottington was negotiated without incident as was the nasty dip before Edgworth. Climbing onto the moors, the wind increased a little and the temperature dropped but it was neither misty nor raining. Unfortunately the clouds meant that we couldn't see the stars. We had a short regrouping stop near the top of the climb and then another one when we hit the Grane Road.The descent to Guide and then Shadsworth pays back all the effort taken to get to the top and we arrived at the garage only about 15 minutes later than I'd anticipated.

As I'd hoped, we were able to sit in the empty Greggs with hot drinks and sandwiches. I preferred using the garage rather than the McDonald's that we've gone to previously and I'm tempted to continue going there even if McD's open the restaurant 24 hours again.
For reasons that should be clear from the “incident”, we spent about about 45 minutes longer at the stop that I'd intended so I was a little worried about what time we'd get to Knott End and hence Blackpool.

As it turned out, I needn't have worried too much. We made good progress even up the climb from Ribchester and through the lanes after Longridge. The “new” part of the route was also covered very quickly and I managed to realise that my Garmin was trying to lead me astray so consulting the OS map was required albeit only once. It's not a complicated route !

I particularly enjoyed the bit along the seawall where we saw black rabbits as well as alpacas and emus. Sadly there were no herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain but we had a sea view: it was between the land and the sky.

The Knott End ferry set off across from Fleetwood not long after we arrived but it only came part way across before it turned around. Cue much head scratching........ A phone call later and we were told that it would be coming across in a little while which it duly did. The group was only 9 strong by this stage so we fitted on easily and everyone appeared to have brought the correct change !On the other side, our trip down the Prom was interupted by the Park Run so we detoured for a short spell on the road before a triumphant arrival at the Wetherspoons. Sadly, because of the delays en route, Charlie had to go straight to the station to get his train but the rest of us were able to find outdoor seats and order breakfast and then beer. Alternatively, you could look at it all as “breakfast”.

After a multi-course “breakfast”, Helenb and I left to get a train leaving wanda to find her hotel and McWobble to plan his ride home.

Thanks to everyone who made the effort to come along and thanks for your excellent company.
Particular thanks to Zee and John for dealing with the “patient” at the garage and for persuading him to go to the hospital.

I've e-mailed Euro Garages to praise the guy working in the shop and to thank him for looking after the bike.
Great report thank you.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

The climb up through Tottington was negotiated without incident as was the nasty dip before Edgworth. Climbing onto the moors, the wind increased a little and the temperature dropped but it was neither misty nor raining. Unfortunately the clouds meant that we couldn't see the stars. We had a short regrouping stop near the top of the climb and then another one when we hit the Grane Road.The descent to Guide and then Shadsworth pays back all the effort taken to get to the top and we arrived at the garage only about 15 minutes later than I'd anticipated.

As I'd hoped, we were able to sit in the empty Greggs with hot drinks and sandwiches. I preferred using the garage rather than the McDonald's that we've gone to previously and I'm tempted to continue going there even if McD's open the restaurant 24 hours again.
For reasons that should be clear from the “incident”, we spent about about 45 minutes longer at the stop that I'd intended so I was a little worried about what time we'd get to Knott End and hence Blackpool.

The Knott End ferry set off across from Fleetwood not long after we arrived but it only came part way across before it turned around. Cue much head scratching........ A phone call later and we were told that it would be coming across in a little while which it duly did. The group was only 9 strong by this stage so we fitted on easily and everyone appeared to have brought the correct change !On the other side, our trip down the Prom was interupted by the Park Run so we detoured for a short spell on the road before a triumphant arrival at the Wetherspoons. Sadly, because of the delays en route, Charlie had to go straight to the station to get his train but the rest of us were able to find outdoor seats and order breakfast and then beer. Alternatively, you could look at it all as “breakfast”.

Nice work Xi and John (he of the e-bike?). Hopefully, one year it'll be dull in all the right ways!!

Top Bottom