FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 3rd September 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Apologies folks; unusually for me, I fell asleep not long after getting in and I've not been awake long...........
While the ride wasn't incident free (are the Manchester rides ever incident free ?), the group coped with the difficulties extremely well and special mention must be made of the two medics on the ride.
I was pleased with how the route worked even if my Garmin was only slightly more than useless. I'd only managed to recce the Knott End portion of the route once due to late posting of the ferry times by the operators confirming that there was a service on Saturday morning so I wasn't as confident as usual about where to go. My Garmin back-up was no more than an OS map but hey, it worked !
As we always do, we stopped in Bury to remember AlanS/jogler and we left flowers. When I get chance I'll get the pictures and post them on here and yACF.
Many thanks to the group for pitching in even before the ride began and for being such great company.
I'll write more later in the week; thanks again everyone :hello:.

Strava:- https://www.strava.com/activities/5904637423 Just because.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
thanks for this post - i was starting to worry, after an extended radio silence, that you had all come to grief after some micro-climate hit on the bolton-blackburn moors, the sad remnants of your merry band only to be discovered after the snows had receded from a snow pole many seasons hence. Or that there had been an as yet unreported, pending police enquiries, incident in an Irish Sea spoons.
(from a poster who had maybe more than was wise in two local fine spoons the day before on a challenging ride)

Not bad guesses Blue Hills but I'm sworn to secrecy about the incident involving the bilingual, cross dressing giraffe, the disgraced fomer Tory minister and the medicine ball.
Sorry.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Just be aware that bailing out can mean a long walk or a long wait at a station or an expensive taxi ride. If you or your bike break at eg, Pickup Bank at 02.00, that's a problem.
Also, we're looking at around 75 miles some of which is very hilly. If you've not been out much recently, are you sure you're up to this ?
I'm not trying to put you off but I would ask that you have a careful consideration of your current abilities.

I've just twigged who you are Pumpkin TR. Damn forum name changes.
Even out of practise you'd still manage the ride more easily than me..........

Hope you can make it next year :cheers:.

I must say the ride seemed very well organised from what I picked up from here, lots of research and on-the-ground reccying by andrew br of stops and refreshment places. Pity about the Garmin - one of the more "advanced" ones?
Look forward to hearing more about the ride. And any pics.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A tiny group of four of us manoeuvred our way through some very lively Manchester streets from Piccadilly train station to join the start at Victoria, thanks to some guidance provided upthread.
Once there and after the safety talk, we departed very slightly behind schedule and through the northern suburbs to join a comedy off road route through some very dark woods (just west of Prestwich?).
After laying flowers in Bury, as customary respect, we headed upwards to the moors. Gathering at the top, all were in good spirits and not far from the absolutely terrifying (for me, anyway) descent into Blackburn.
A slightly extended break here, and only a few more hills to cross into Longridge and then it’s pretty much all flat.
We joined the coastal path just before Knott End-on-Sea to see horses, donkeys and black rabbits (of Inlé?) by the dozen.
After the little red and white ferry took us across the Wyre estuary, it was a swift run down the coast to Blackpool, slightly punctuated by a large fun run which started at the exact moment we arrived at its start point. Some swift re-navigation by ride leader @Andrew Br on to the main road bypassed these and we arrived at the North Pier at 9:50. Unfortunately (?), I had a train booked, so had to skip the Wetherspoon’s breakfast, grabbing a quick sandwich at the train station instead.
Home by three, bath and bed for couple of hours.
Thank you all for support and company and to @Andrew Br for organisation like clockwork.
This is a cracker of a ride that really really deserves more support.
C

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hello all
I really enjoyed the ride. Thankyou all for your company. Its such a good experience to do this ride each section is different and
And? :smile:

I've just twigged who you are Pumpkin TR. Damn forum name changes.
Even out of practise you'd still manage the ride more easily than me..........

Hope you can make it next year :cheers:.

It sounds like I missed a good ride, but I have done very little in the last few years and with the added complication of a recently torn ACL, decided discretion was the better part of valour.
Next year, operation on knees withstanding, I shall participate on this great ride.

Top Bottom