FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 7th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
If you fancy doing this ride in 2019 (and why wouldn't you ?), it's time to start looking at train tickets.

Travel info first:
You'll need to get to either of Manchester's main stations (Piccadilly or Victoria) in time to ride to Albert Square for a midnight departure to Blackpool.
Most trains back to home depart from Blackpool North station. There is a direct Virgin service to London Euston and Northern Rail run direct to Manchester. Other destinations are (probably) best served by travelling to Preston and changing there.
You must have bike reservations for Virgin and Trans Pennine Express. Northern don't care as long as you're not creating too much of an obstruction. If you're going to use another train co. please check their bike policy.

The ride:
It's hilly but most of the hills are long and not too steep although there are exceptions to this. It also means that the descents are the type where you can just let the bike go.
This year I'm going to cut out some of last year's gravel section as we exit Manchester; we'll use the best surfaced section of last year's route before we climb to Prestwich. It'll mean we have an extra climb but it'll keep us off potentially busy main roads and we do all the initial ascending in one go. The main road goes up and down several times.
The mid-way stop is at a 24 hour McDonald's on the outskirts of Blackburn. Sorry about that (McDonald's not Blackburn). I'm hoping that last year's cafe in Fleetwood will be able to recreate that unique al fresco experience for us.
The final part of the ride takes us down Blackpool Prom to the Tower and drinks*. Taking the line of least resistance, it may well be a Weatherspoon's but I'm going to try very hard to find an alternative.
Whatever I come up with, it'll be a few minutes ride from Blackpool North.

A few final things to consider about the route; it's in the North and it goes up high on to the moors so there is the possibility of weather and not the good kind. We've had most things on previous rides including, briefly, snow. It's also been glorious all night......
We go through some remote areas so a bike failure could mean a long walk and/or an expensive taxi ride.
There tends to be a small group on this ride so everyone gets to know everyone else; we suffer and enjoy together :stop::cheers:.

Finally, we'll have a brief stop to remember jogler/Alan S.
I'll bring flowers.

Admin:
You need to register. Go here; https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/
Other info on the rides and the group is there as well.

If you have any questions, please ask away.

Last year's Cyclechat thread is here:- https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-blackpool-1st-june-2018.233646/

Hope you can make it.

Andrew

*Optional but highly recommended.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you fancy doing this ride in 2019 (and why wouldn't you ?), it's time to start looking at train tickets.
Actually, it was at least a month ago, when I bought mine ;) Registered, and looking forward to getting this one off the 'destination I haven't been to' list. Bike reservations on both outward and return, so Mr Gravel & not Mr Chutney will be the riding weapon of choice.

Last edited:

Domus

Guru
Just re read last years thread. Very entertaining and brought back some smiles.
What new route to Sunny Radcliffe?
My new dynamo lighting will get an airing in Bristol on Friday, ready for the moors in June.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
What's the deadline date for registration? I'm considering it, but it's a friends 50th beginning of June, so may end up elsewhere that weekend :blush:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I quite fancy this ride, it's right on my doorstep and within my ability, (would probably ride home as well?) but will require some domestic wrangling as Mrs Skol is currently trying to line up some other social engagement for the evening of the 8th which would scupper any chance of an over night ride on 7th/8th.

Having looked at the registration pages there is another issue that is blocking my participation. I am neither a member of 'The Fridays' and also do not have insurance by one of the cycling organisations listed. I do have the 3rd party insurance necessary for the activity, provided through my home insurance and have checked and double checked this recently when considering taking out such membership/insurance but found I would simply be duplicating the cover from my home insurance.

So, not necessarily in the spirit of the event but, Why do I have to have, the approved insurance listed and not just appropriate insurance? Secondly, as this is a ride on open public roads, there is nothing to stop me from just turning up and riding with you (although you may publicly ostracise me if I did) as their is no legal requirement for me to have any kind of insurance to be on a public road riding a self propelled bicycle.

kimble

Veteran
I could be wrong, but I expect it's a requirement of their insurance for the ride organiser. Whether they'd recognise other providers of equivalent third-party cover is a good question though. As well as home insurance, it tends to be a feature of dedicated cycle theft policies...

Obviously you're at liberty to ride on public roads, but deliberately turning up and bootlegging the group ride will be frowned upon. Note that your chances of causing a third-party damage/injury are going to be higher when cycling in a group, simply because there's more opportunity for a bike-vs-bike collision.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Other than the fact that it would make you a complete and utter t--t.
I trust you are not representing or associated with the ride organisers, coming out with cool replies like that?

MY gripe (if it could be called a gripe) is that this is a ride posted in the cyclechat and recreational rides section. It is on open public roads and there is no legal requirement for the conditions stipulated by the ride organiser to be met in order for me to ride along the route at the same time as the ride.

Complying with the request of the ride organisers and having the said insurance/membership will not absolve the organiser of liability if they are negligent in some way such as, for example, sending the route across a motorway or something equally dangerous. Also insisting that riders have insurance in case of collision with each other has nothing to do with the event organisation. They are not liable for negligence of one rider against another.

I have no intention of buying an unnecessary membership of BC or one of the other listed providers just to do the ride so in the absence of any reply or contact from the OP it looks I am out, but thanks for your friendly and informative reply @srw

Domus

Guru
I am a member of both Cycling UK and British Cycling. I joined primarily with the intention of going on organised rides and to gain info because I came to cycling late in life. However I have learned far more from this forum but still maintain my memberships, partly for the insurance aspect but also as organisations that look to promote cycling and lobby on behalf of cyclists they need funds.
The Fridays are a club affiliated with Cycling UK and as such have membership rules. They are quite simple. Pay £2.00 pa and hold membership of one or other nominated organisation. The ride leaders go and recce the routes, organise food stops etc as volunteers. The very least anyone can do is respect the Fridays by complying with their requirements.

Top Bottom