FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 7th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Relax Skolly old bean, the Fridays are an institution, besides I think you get the first ride free, you just need to prize £2 out your wallet, so you'll only need the small crowbar.

I am appalled at the 100% increase in membership since I last joined with the intention of doing this ride though!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm sure I read somewhere The Fridays have a 'try before you buy' scheme.

You can do a ride as a tester without having to meet the insurance requirements.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Other than the fact that it would make you a complete and utter twat.

Knowing Skol I would suggest that he is arguing in absurdum. I'm certain he has no intention of just turning up to ride his bike on this route at midnight

I don't know you and, based on the above quote I'm rather happy that that's the case

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Easy, Tigers! Having ridden with Skolly I am sure he would be an asset to the ride and I imagine Andrew would be delighted to have him as a participant. On the other side of the barney, there's a reason for the slight prickliness - a lot of thought and care has gone into the organisational model of the FNRttC, and people are not asked to comply with what few roolz there are just for the sake of whimsy. There are good reasons for it all, and life is too short to tear them up and start over every time someone finds a brilliant new insurance deal or some other exception to the T&Cs. Plus, as Crackle says, you can try it out once without having to worry about any of that, so just give it a go.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Easy, Tigers! Having ridden with Skolly I am sure he would be an asset to the ride and I imagine Andrew would be delighted to have him as a participant. On the other side of the barney, there's a reason for the slight prickliness - a lot of thought and care has gone into the organisational model of the FNRttC, and people are not asked to comply with what few roolz there are just for the sake of whimsy. There are good reasons for it all, and life is too short to tear them up and start over every time someone finds a brilliant new insurance deal or some other exception to the T&Cs. Plus, as Crackle says, you can try it out once without having to worry about any of that, so just give it a go.
^This. Hope you join us Skolly!

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Let's try harder to keep this civil.

Skollie: there is a "try before you buy" option to do one ride with the Friday's before you have to get the recognised insurance.
None of the ride organisers are insurance experts so it was decided a long time ago to only allow CTC(CUK)/BC and LCC insurance. AIUI, it's from the same provider and identical across the three groups.
The Friday's are associated with CTC/CUK so we generally push people in their direction. As mentioned upthread, part of the membership fee helps to promote cycling.
Basically, what Crackle and theclaud have said.
And yes, it would be great to see you at the start.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Think i might join up for this. Sounds like you are joining the A56 at Prestwich rather than going along the Outwood Trail to Radcliffe? If so can i hop on there? Ta

Good news MAC !
Yes, we'll be popping up in Prestwich (opposite M&S from memory) and then riding along the A56 towards Bury.
You're welcome to join us wherever is suitable, the only caveat being you'll need to be there since we won't be able to wait.
If you have a puncture 50m after joining us, you'll get the full, loving care that the Friday's are noted for :smile:.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Just re read last years thread. Very entertaining and brought back some smiles.
What new route to Sunny Radcliffe?
My new dynamo lighting will get an airing in Bristol on Friday, ready for the moors in June.

We're missing Radcliffe altogether and joining the A56 in Prestwich.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
What's the deadline date for registration? I'm considering it, but it's a friends 50th beginning of June, so may end up elsewhere that weekend :blush:

Not sure yet.
I have to let the cafe know how many to expect for breakfast but I don't know if we (The Friday's executive committee) need to let CUK how many riders there are for insurance.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly with the answer.

Last edited:

Wobblers

Euthermic
I quite fancy this ride, it's right on my doorstep and within my ability, (would probably ride home as well?) but will require some domestic wrangling as Mrs Skol is currently trying to line up some other social engagement for the evening of the 8th which would scupper any chance of an over night ride on 7th/8th.

Having looked at the registration pages there is another issue that is blocking my participation. I am neither a member of 'The Fridays' and also do not have insurance by one of the cycling organisations listed. I do have the 3rd party insurance necessary for the activity, provided through my home insurance and have checked and double checked this recently when considering taking out such membership/insurance but found I would simply be duplicating the cover from my home insurance.

So, not necessarily in the spirit of the event but, Why do I have to have, the approved insurance listed and not just appropriate insurance? Secondly, as this is a ride on open public roads, there is nothing to stop me from just turning up and riding with you (although you may publicly ostracise me if I did) as their is no legal requirement for me to have any kind of insurance to be on a public road riding a self propelled bicycle.

The inestimable Dellzeqq used to run the FNRttC in much the way you've suggested. It was always a CTC ride, so technically it was supposed to be for CTC members. The insurance policy allowed for up to 5 non-members. CTC or BC membership was encouraged but not required. The problem is that the rides got far too big for such informal arrangements and the simplest and cheapest solution was to form the Fridays club to run the FNRttC. There's a thread about that buried somewhere here.

The insurance stipulation is not just for third party insurance: it's also to protect the ride leader. If the worst should happen, the insurance is there to pay out rather than the ride leader (Andrew Br in this case) from being sued into oblivion. Which is fair enough, really. I'm a paid up member of the Fridays and CTC... despite not having a FNRttC in nearly two years. I ought to remedy that, I know. I understand the frustration of all this hassle - but I also have an idea of the lengths Dellzeqq went to keep things as accessible as possible. It's not a great solution, but it's the best that could be done, unfortuantely.

You really should try it. It's a fine route with great people, and I rather suspect you'd love it. You'd be very welcome. Come to think of it, I really should put my name down too. Time to do some thinking...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll be organising another MTB weekend in Wales shortly, and there will be none of these shenanigans. No ride requirements. If you smash yourself up, then we will get an ambulance and drink a few beers for you after.

Its a sorry state of insurance these days when informal rides turn into legal minefields.

Top Bottom