FNRttC Manchester-Blackpool 7th June 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zee

Veteran
Hi @Andrew Br - how long do you estimate it'll take to arrive in Blackpool (assuming minimal dramas along the way)..?

fuboab

Fat bird
I can get to and from Personchester, complete with mandatory bike reservation. But getting from The Prom to Manchester Victoria seems to require a change a Salford Crescent and won't allow a bike reservation - seeking clarity from TPE I get this.

Any tips?

Edit: Sorted. I need a drink.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I can get to and from Personchester, complete with mandatory bike reservation. But getting from The Prom to Manchester Victoria seems to require a change a Salford Crescent and won't allow a bike reservation - seeking clarity from TPE I get this.

Any tips?

Edit: Sorted. I need a drink.

If there are difficulties with changes, cycling from Salford Crescent to Victoria station is straightforward and shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Hi @Andrew Br - how long do you estimate it'll take to arrive in Blackpool (assuming minimal dramas along the way)..?

Last year, I aimed for 08.00 to arrive for breakfast in Fleetwood; we got there at 08.15 IIRC.
We'll have a shorter stop at the McD's this year: arrive, food, coffee, toilet, social media, extra clothing, depart.
If we're ahead of schedule after that, we'll ride more slowly and enjoy the scenery.
We reached Blackpool at ~10.00 and then the train fiasco started..........

ETA: I'm hoping for minimal drama.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
If there are difficulties with changes, cycling from Salford Crescent to Victoria station is straightforward and shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes.

Except fuboab doesn't need to cycle to Victoria, she needs to get to Albert Square.

In other news, I'm not going to be available for "meet and great" at Piccadilly Station; I'm guiding the ChorltonCH Massive in to Albert Square.
We're intending to arrive at 23.30.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Last year, I aimed for 08.00 to arrive for breakfast in Fleetwood; we got there at 08.15 IIRC.
We'll have a shorter stop at the McD's this year: arrive, food, coffee, toilet, social media, extra clothing, depart.
If we're ahead of schedule after that, we'll ride more slowly and enjoy the scenery.
We reached Blackpool at ~10.00 and then the train fiasco started..........
That should work out nicely, my train to Euston is the 1054 (fingers crossed for no repeat of last year).

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Except fuboab doesn't need to cycle to Victoria, she needs to get to Albert Square.

In other news, I'm not going to be available for "meet and great" at Piccadilly Station; I'm guiding the ChorltonCH Massive in to Albert Square.
We're intending to arrive at 23.30.
Point taken :okay:

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
That should work out nicely, my train to Euston is the 1054 (fingers crossed for no repeat of last year).

Last year's fiasco was mostly down to Northern Fail. The other rail companies were, largely, unaffected.
wanda's Pendolino arrived and departed bang on time.
The Claud and I got a Northern Fail Class 150 not long after that. I don't think it was scheduled but it was there, we got on and it got us to MCR at a time when more beer seemed appropriate.
We had more beer.

Last edited:

kimble

Veteran
I've left a healthy error margin, but maybe I should bring the fast bike again in case I do end up having to ride to dePreston...

Tradeoff is that it puts the comedy in comedy off-roading, and having to stay awake to avoid the 4000 holes of Blackburn, Lancashire.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've scaled back the off-road section for this year.
It's going to be a stretch of hard packed gravel (so hard packed it's not really gravel), 200m of broken concrete and then a tarmac climb that'll get the legs working/burning.
The off-road section is smoother than some of the on-road, sadly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
The cafe have come back to me: they're happy for us to go back there.
They need to know how many people want a veggie breakfast so please indicate either on here or via pm.
There are currently 19 riders signed up with 2 of the ChorltonCH Massive still to do so; they've already told me they're going to ride.

Top Bottom