Manchester - Llandudno 25 April 2015 featuring the Inaugural Hill Climb Sausage Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twinks

Über Member
:giggle::giggle:

Cubist

Still wavin'
A bit of good news in all the gloom. I rang my insurers (household) to see whether the cost of the bike frame and clothing,including my glasses, was covered, and it turns out it was. I was contacted by Wheelies Direct who asked me to send pictures of the damage to them. I asked whether they would be able to replace a Planet X frame, and of course they couldn't but undertook to find an acceptable alternative. They rang me this morning to tell me they were suggesting a Giant TCR Advanced frame which they would take off a donor bike, or I could choose one from their linked company Chicken Cycles up to the equivalent cost. What's more my insurers had authorised the repairs and the replacement equivalent clothing (again, they couldn't source Paramo) without quibble. A wee bit of research later and I chose a Dedacciai Gladiattore Strada which has very similar geometry and sizing to my PX Pro Carbon, with the same Monocoque Toray 700 carbon layup and a BSA BB. I've got to box up the old bike, and they'll receive and get the bits ordered next week, with an expected turnaround of 7 days in the workshop. What's more, as the frame costs them less than the Giant donor route, I can have the extra spent on upgrading the brakes.

I then went into Specsavers to have the frames replaced on my glasses. Expecting to have to add the cost of new frames to the insurance claim, I was more than overjoyed when the woman popped my lenses into a new titanium frame and said I could have them FOC as a goodwill gesture. :wahhey:

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Excellent Cube. Now what are they going to do about those bruises?

I think we need to get you out on the mountain bikes as it is clearly safer. I wonder if I can line up a northern quarter raid on Cannock Chase later in the summer :becool:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Where on the route was that little footbridge? I'm scouring the route on Google to find it so I can hopefully include it in a family ride on Monday (and through the sickeningly picturesque village of Great Budworth).

Were you having an out of body experience? The footbridge was in the grounds of Dunham Hall, just before you get to the Swan With Two Nick pub

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nicky has a hilarious 15 century joke about that place........ maybe:smile:
P1070113.JPG

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I realize I'm a bit tardy with a response to the ride, but many thanks @nickyboy for organizing, and @Andrew Br for your splendid hospitality. Apart from the miserable bit in the middle, I had a great time, and it was nice to meet and ride with some new CCers and catch up with some (ahem) old ones.

A ride of contrasts. By the time I was heading into a glorious and warming sunset The Other Side of The Clwyd, the grim no-man's-land between Connah's Quay and Rhyl seemed like a bad dream. I'm not a stranger to that stretch of the A548 - my work occasionally brings me to Clwyd Theatr Cymru, sometimes with mornings free. I once stayed for several days at the Northop Hall Travelodge, which resulted in a series of exhilarating and terrifying dashes along the A55 - I'd happily repeat that sooner than I'd ride the A548 in a freezing wet westerly again. I was reminded that it was the same stretch of road where a driver killed the unfortunately named Alan Mort a few years back, and then @Andrew Br revealed he'd been knocked off his bike in pretty much the same place. The whole thing needs slowing to 30mph with cameras, and the through traffic can bugger off onto the A55.

I enjoyed the exit from Manchester; the weather and the countryside before Marbury; going slightly off piste with @Origamist; @rich p and Jason; seeing Ade, Crax, Pubbers, Wobblers, Rickshaw Phil and co at Eureka; the comradely respite from misery at Maccy D's; the lift in spirits and view at Towyn; the satisfaction when our Equipe Lanterne Rouge finally rolled into the genteel environs of Llandudno; the pub and the company in it; and the fact that Wobblers was sufficiently bonkers to miss the last train deliberately and ride all the way back rather than forsake the post-ride beer.

I was sorry that Cubist came a cropper; that Origamist's last memory of the ride was that of Rhyl; that @mikeee and @User3094 didn't show; that some idiot put two completely unnecessary bastard hills in the way; that some folk had departed before I got to the pub; that TMN was put off by the terrible musician; that the even-worse musician decided to sit in with the terrible one.

The following morning re-united the scattered Team Slow, joined by @MossCommuter, over Eggs Benedict and other delights. @wanda2010 and @Andrew Br had a Guinness for breakfast, making me feel a bit of a lightweight. I was kindly indulged by @wanda2010 when I absent-mindedly set off in the wrong direction after breakfast and almost led her up the Great Orme. After coming to my senses, we had a pleasant ride to Llandudno Junction, where I had arranged to meet @rich p - the silly muppet having booked digs in completely the wrong place.

Epilogue: I hadn't fancied a six hour train ride home the next day, so I asked a pal who lives somewhere rather wonderful atop a proper bastard hill just south of Knighton if he'd mind a couple of visitors, and Rich and I teamed up for a frivolous half-century across the Shropshire Hills from Shrewsbury. The route was chosen on the hoof, more as a hill-minimizer with beer interlude than anything else. A pleasant gradual climb out on the Longden road suddenly got a bit more testing and we discovered that Shropshire miles are a whole lot longer than real ones. The Three Tuns at Bishop's Castle were a bit jobsworthy about food serving times when we rolled in just after 3pm, but we thought it was rude not to have a quick pint before moving on to the Boar's Head [tip - if you have the chicken in lemon sauce, have it without the lemon sauce], so the stop was a bit lengthier than intended. We picked the flattest route we could find to Presteigne, which turned out to be lined with Tory landowners proclaiming their sense of entitlement with smug blue placards in every field. To escape this we had to climb the aforementioned proper bastard hill, with added luggage in the form of post-ride refreshments. My assurance that the route I had chosen up it was the least horrific of three seemed to be met with some scepticism. Our hosts (one of whom is pictured below) greeted us with an excellent roast chicken dinner, and humoured us by having a glass of wine while we had about six.

We couldn't be arsed with any more hills than were unavoidable the following morning, so we rode the six lumpy but net-downhill miles into Knighton and took the picturesque but ponderous Heart of Wales line to Swansea. There is not much in the way of reception in them thar hills, but I found just enough to read Origamist's post upthread to Rich, as soon as I had stopped crying with laughter. Actually crying - I could barely breathe. We sat in the sun outside the Woodman pub in Blackpill, with the second excellent pie of the weekend and a few very acceptable beers, casting aspersions on passing drivers.

Anyway, thanks again to all involved for an memorable weekend, especially @rich p, @Andrew Br (I still have your Ass Saver!), @wanda2010 and @nickyboy, and special mention to Skolly for pinging about irrepressibly and giving TMN a helping hand, and @User (I'm guessing) for helping me find the Travelodge. I've not been in great shape for quite some time now, but I feel the mojo starting to return.

Mossy Nose.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
Nicky has a hilarious 15 century joke about that place........ maybe:smile:
View attachment 87651
Somewhere to park yer tandem?

BRounsley

Über Member
A bit of good news in all the gloom. I rang my insurers (household) to see whether the cost of the bike frame and clothing,including my glasses, was covered, and it turns out it was. I was contacted by Wheelies Direct who asked me to send pictures of the damage to them. I asked whether they would be able to replace a Planet X frame, and of course they couldn't but undertook to find an acceptable alternative. They rang me this morning to tell me they were suggesting a Giant TCR Advanced frame which they would take off a donor bike, or I could choose one from their linked company Chicken Cycles up to the equivalent cost. What's more my insurers had authorised the repairs and the replacement equivalent clothing (again, they couldn't source Paramo) without quibble. A wee bit of research later and I chose a Dedacciai Gladiattore Strada which has very similar geometry and sizing to my PX Pro Carbon, with the same Monocoque Toray 700 carbon layup and a BSA BB. I've got to box up the old bike, and they'll receive and get the bits ordered next week, with an expected turnaround of 7 days in the workshop. What's more, as the frame costs them less than the Giant donor route, I can have the extra spent on upgrading the brakes.

I then went into Specsavers to have the frames replaced on my glasses. Expecting to have to add the cost of new frames to the insurance claim, I was more than overjoyed when the woman popped my lenses into a new titanium frame and said I could have them FOC as a goodwill gesture. :wahhey:

My bikes were stolen a while back and the silver lining was I well covered (M&S via Axa).

The bikes were replaced via Wheelies Direct. I assume the insurers get some sort of kick back for using Wheelies Direct, as the cash off was a lot less.

So I got a couple of really nice bikes but the bikes were terribly assembled.

No rim tape on one of the road bike wheels, resulting in an exploding tube 50 meters from the house. On my single speed the front brake cable was routes between the fork and the wheel. The front wheel spokes also went lose.

Maybe they have one duffer but you may want to get it checked out before riding it!!

Cubist

Still wavin'
My bikes were stolen a while back and the silver lining was I well covered (M&S via Axa).

The bikes were replaced via Wheelies Direct. I assume the insurers get some sort of kick back for using Wheelies Direct, as the cash off was a lot less.

So I got a couple of really nice bikes but the bikes were terribly assembled.

No rim tape on one of the road bike wheels, resulting in an exploding tube 50 meters from the house. On my single speed the front brake cable was routes between the fork and the wheel. The front wheel spokes also went lose.

Maybe they have one duffer but you may want to get it checked out before riding it!!
I think Cube will be all over that bike before riding it. He does like to tinker....

It'll be down to nuts and bolts before I get on it. I haven't knowingly ridden a bike that I haven't stripped and rebuilt for a good few years now! ^_^

Top Bottom