Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 12 May 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Just left Llandudno Junction on the rail replacement bus. One of the coaches loaded three bicycles.

My coach this morning loaded two bikes, so I could have ridden my standard titch bike. I was decidedly miffed when I saw that, although pleased it was an option for the cyclists.

I left my hotel at 0730 and got home at 5.50pm. In between I got to Chester in an hour, had a coffee then went into Manchester, loitered for a few hours over a late breakfast (lunch, really), with a glass of prosecco, then slept on the train back to London.

Another good ride, with the best weather we've had to date courtesy of @Crackle. It was his apology for not riding, but sending Mrs Crackle in his stead was a great plan :okay::okay: Yes, I AM looking forward to seeing her on the Blackpool ride ;)

Thanks to everyone for the fun and laughter. My two team members who handled the navigation detail with ease. I promise better working equipment next time :smile:

@nickyboy - Karden House was a good pick. Loved my room and my packed lunch was far superior to Tesco and Boots meal deals. Was sorry to have missed the breakfast, but, hopefully, next year. @MossCommuter - sterling effort on the beer venue and various drinks knowledge :okay::okay:

Next ride.......:hello::hello:

si_c

Guru
Did you get your 300 km in, or even the double imperial century?
At least you worked out where you went wrong, looks like you did quite a bit extra distance with your detours.

I ended up on about 205mi (330km) for the day - definitely feeling it today.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Made it back home at 9.25. 12 hours door-to-door, so definitely not as slow as a rail replacement bus :smile: Slightly alarming experience boarding the Euston train at Crewe (got bike on, the door was shut on me & had to get through the crowd to the next door, back off to pick the panniers up, before jumping on again). I was under the impression Pendolinos had space for two bikes. Somehow, there were four in there by the time we got to Euston...Quickly enough through the smoke to make the 7.30 train home, which was nice. Full write-up to follow at some point.
Fantastic weekend, well worth the effort to get up and back. Thanks Nick and everyone else!

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Driving through Lees this morning with the wife, who should be sat at a junction waiting to cycle off but @Andrew Br, hope you had another good ride today.

There I was, riding along with my group through a part of MCR that I rarely visit and there's some idiot driver gesticulating frantically and smiling.
Weird, but he looked vaguely familiar. Still, carry on......
Then I clocked the reg. plate and the dials clocked into place; DiddlyDods !

Great to see you and yes, we did have a good ride even if I have very little recollection of our route.
I have to ask, how did you recognise me ? I was wearing the same helmet as yesterday but the rest of my gear (down to MTB style over shorts) and the bike were different.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Excuse the shameless pimping of a FNRttC on nickyboy's thread ride but, for you North Western types, I'd like to draw your attention to this:-

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-blackpool-1st-june-2018.233646/

Manchester to Blackpool with lovely people, some of whom you'll have met yesterday.
It's at night and I'm organising it.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Excuse the shameless pimping of a FNRttC on nickyboy's thread ride but, for you North Western types, I'd like to draw your attention to this:-

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-blackpool-1st-june-2018.233646/

Manchester to Blackpool with lovely people, some of whom you'll have met yesterday.
It's at night and I'm organising it.
And please forgive my disgraceful hijacking of Andrew's pimping ... but if you are a North Western type who would prefer a daylight ride that weekend, I'd like to draw your attention to THIS ONE. :okay:

Or if you are the likes of @si_c, do the FNRttC ride first then dash back to do mine! :laugh:

Anyway, the main thing is that there are lots of CycleChat rides being organised. Most people who do them seem to have a good time, so why not turn up for one and see what you think?

Last edited:

BRounsley

Über Member
Nick, yet another success. Thank you for organising it and thank you for allowing use to be a part of it.

Me and the big man were spooning by 11pm, so up and back on the road before 8am. We grabbed breakfast just outside Rhyl. Back on the flat route, picking up the river path just after the footbridge. This took us all the way to Chester with a final mile through the city to the train station. We reached the station about 11:45am, on the 12:30pm train, in the house by 2pm.

Great ride, weather and company

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Nick, yet another success. Thank you for organising it and thank you for allowing use to be a part of it.

Me and the big man were spooning by 11pm, so up and back on the road before 8am. We grabbed breakfast just outside Rhyl. Back on the flat route, picking up the river path just after the footbridge. This took us all the way to Chester with a final mile through the city to the train station. We reached the station about 11:45am, on the 12:30pm train, in the house by 2pm.

Great ride, weather and company

I missed the 12.30 by a couple of minutes thanks to a puncture between Rhyl and Prestatyn

Then I found the valve on my spare tube was knackered....luckily an old chap gave me a tube (and regaled me with stories of how he used to race against Beryl Burton in his youth) and watched my puncture repair technique with a steely glare. Wasted about 30 minutes so caned it to Chester but failed and got the 1pm instead

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I missed the 12.30 by a couple of minutes thanks to a puncture between Rhyl and Prestatyn

Then I found the valve on my spare tube was knackered....luckily an old chap gave me a tube (and regaled me with stories of how he used to race against Beryl Burton in his youth) and watched my puncture repair technique with a steely glare. Wasted about 30 minutes so caned it to Chester but failed and got the 1pm instead
Don't say I've not warned you about Rhyl and Prestatyn.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

At least your wheels held up ok this time.

Now this practice run is completed when are you going to turn your focus on the main event, Scarborough?

Top Bottom