Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
So who's up for an all day 100 mile ride to the seaside?

Now into it's 5th year.....

Offering a fast escape from Manchester, pleasant Cheshire country lanes, rickety bridges over the River Dee, seafront perambulations, top drawer elevenses, lunch and fish and chips at the seaside. Overnighter with modest beer consumption available too

There are two route options: Flatter and Hillier. The difference is in North Wales where you can choose the main road route which is flatter or the country lanes route which is hillier. I've also amended the hillier route to avoid Prestatyn & Rhyl just for those who grumble every year about that stretch.

Steady pace, we all stick together for the first 30-40 miles. Then slowly we disintegrate into small groups and ride at whatever pace suits with whatever stops suits all the way to Llandudno

No problem if folk want to only do part of the ride. There will be the usual official stops at Altrincham, Weaverham, Eureka, Rhyl Bike Hub, so welcome to start/finish at those as you see fit

For those a bit nervous about whether they can manage the full distance, the good news is that from about the 60mile mark, there are regular train stations with a service to Llandudno. So, worst case scenario and you feel it's too much; just go to the nearest station and take the train

"Expressions of Interest" only at this stage. Firm up numbers much closer to the ride date.

No insurance required. Wear whatever clothing, headgear you like. All I stipulate is a decent bike and a means to navigate

Route and timings
Leave Manchester Piccadilly railway station at 0800. Altrincham by 0900. It meanders through Cheshire with a stop at about 1030 in Weaverham for coffee, bacon butties etc. Onto the Wirral to the famous Eureka cyclists café for a hearty lunch. After that its West to Llandudno with a flatter option on the stretch from Flint to Prestatyn or a hillier one from Flint to Rhyl. Both options rejoin at Bike Hub Rhyl. After that, we literally hug the coast all the way to Llandudno. Arrival time is weather dependent but has been around 1800-1830 for most participants in prior years. Excellent fish and chips at the finish point

Link to Flatter Route
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18498304

Link to Hillier Route

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/18472318

Expressions of Interest
@Kestevan +1 (:smile: confirmed)
@gavroche (from Bike Hub Rhyl) (:smile:confirmed)
@dan_bo (:sad: out)
@ColinJ (to Eureka) (:smile:confirmed)
@Slow But Determined (from Eureka) (:sad: out)
@Freds Dad (:sad: out)
@StuAff (:smile: confirmed)
@Domus (:smile:confirmed)
@Vantage (:sad: out)
@colly (:sad: out)
@Alan7 (from Eureka) (:smile: confirmed)
@Jehughes7 (from Eureka) (:smile: confirmed)
@Soltydog (:sad: out)
@wanda2010 (maybe just walking around Llandudno eating fish and chips)
@Bazzer (to Weaverham) (:sad: out)
@I like Skol +1 (:smile: confirmed)
@SteCenturion (:sad: out)
@doughnut (:smile: confirmed)
@theclaud (:smile: confirmed)
@McWobble (from Eureka) (:smile: confirmed)
@mike3121 (some of it)
@si_c (:smile: confirmed)
@DiddlyDodds (:smile: confirmed)
@Moodyman (:smile: confirmed)
@Tony OKeefe +1 (from Altrincham) (:smile: confirmed)
@Adam4868 (:smile: confirmed)
@BRounsley (from Altrincham to Weaverham) (:smile: confirmed)
@Katherine (to Weaverham) (:smile: confirmed)

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ooooo me please.
And Anita :bravo:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the Saturday Northern trains are running again by then I will probably turn up on my singlespeed bike and have another go at getting up those hills on it...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Urk....clashes with the Bristol-Barry FNRttC, wot sets off at midnight that day (and combining the two isn't possible let alone sensible). Date set in stone?

Glad you've cut Rhyl out. It's rhylly not worth a visit!

Is there a possibility to join at Eureka and new to this so do you organise accomodation if people want to stay.

As a born and bred Rhyl person I will happily go the bottom road taking in Rhyl and come back the top road the next day.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is there a possibility to join at Eureka and new to this so do you organise accomodation if people want to stay.

As a born and bred Rhyl person I will happily go the bottom road taking in Rhyl and come back the top road the next day.
Those who want accomodation do it themselves, same as with train tickets. AFAIK, joining on route has not been a problem before.

Top Bottom