Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi,

Looked like you all had a good ride.

Funnily enough I am planning a ride to Llandudno from Cheadle in a couple of weeks and was hoping for a bit of advice. Been looking at your route and wondered how the cycle paths are for riding at 20-22 mph? Also is it easy to keep on track not having cycled it before? Another option is sticking to the 548 and 547 but I would imagine that these roads will be fairly busy on a Friday early afternoon.

This another option I have found is https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20966728 and the route that I am leaning towards as it has a few lumps to keep things interesting. Having never cycled these roads does the route look ok?

Thanks.
The route you've mapped looks OK if you can cope with the hills. I've done bits of it over the Denbigh Moors and around Chester as far as Tatton.

The coastal path is easy to follow and you can keep your speed up for the most part but you have to remember it's a shared use path and on a sunny day quite busy around places like Rhos on Sea/Colwyn Bay/Rhyl and Prestatyn.

gwinch

Thanks a lot @Crackle. Plan is to take it easy for the first 50 or so and have plenty of gas left for the climbs.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think the word you need is .................. Garmin ^_^. Mind you, I used my phone with a battery pack and that worked fine.

Yeah I saw @theclaud with your phone/battery pack arrangement and it looked like it worked fine and of course avoids having to spend quite a lot of money on a specific GPS device like a Garmin. Are there any navigational negatives associated with the phone v specific GPS device?

Every one; I am thinking of buying a gps for my bike that do not get lost,what is your recommendation please??
As per Wanda but you'd probably be better off with a separate thread. You'll find Garmin gets good and bad press, though mine performed faultlessly over the weekend, including sending a livetrack of my progress to mrs C in Llandudno. Garmin is the most complete but others are catching up, Bryton, Mio, Wahoo etc.... not forgetting the humble phone in conjunction with ridewithgps etc...

wanda2010

Guru
Yeah I saw @theclaud with your phone/battery pack arrangement and it looked like it worked fine and of course avoids having to spend quite a lot of money on a specific GPS device like a Garmin. Are there any navigational negatives associated with the phone v specific GPS device?

Not that I can think off. It helps that I have a spare phone, so used that and the gadget comes with protective cover in case it rains. Your use of RWGPS made the directions easy to follow once loaded. I don't used navigational aids as a rule as the Friday rides come with human satnavs and I only need to follow the person in front :rolleyes:^_^. I occasionally use Google maps, or attempt to, here in London. No @theclaud you are NOT allowed to comment :stop:^_^^_^

mike3121

just remembered I took this pic on Saturday

anybody recognise themselves or any other riders?

18486142_824813874352877_2573339032214045976_n.jpg

Top Bottom