Manchester - Llandudno: Saturday May 13

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
So who managed their first ever 100 mile Century ride last Saturday?

@Buck (and Gil?)
@alibaba

There must be more

Congratulations. It's a very small % indeed of the population (or even cyclists generally) that have managed to do what you achieved
Seems this ride is becoming quite popular for those wanting to do a first century. You could even advertise it thus... Look even @whoeveryoucanthinkof can do a century!

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Not the first century but it was my longest ride to date at 179.3km!

About 20km of which was doubling back when you took the wrong route?

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Seems this ride is becoming quite popular for those wanting to do a first century. You could even advertise it thus... Look even @whoeveryoucanthinkof can do a century!

And both of the above did the harder hilly version too. The flatter version is officially 99 miles but I suspect with a bit of faffing around in car parks etc it's just about there

Freds Dad

Veteran
So who managed their first ever 100 mile Century ride last Saturday?

@Buck (and Gil?)
@alibaba

There must be more

Congratulations. It's a very small % indeed of the population (or even cyclists generally) that have managed to do what you achieved

My friend @Happypigfour did his first 100 miler and I would have done mine had it been for my dodgy knee. I did however record my longest ride.

Cupotea

I'd also like to add that I found the source of the terrible noise my bike was making. You know the little bent bit of metal from the back plate of a rear mech between the jockey wheels? Well it turns out if you're an idiot of enormous proportions you can thread your new chain on the wrong side of that and then not notice the significant drag it creates for about 200 miles over 2 weeks. Now I think about it, it does explain why my chain stayed so silver on one side when the rest was blackened by normal road crud.

I'm telling myself that it robbed me of at least 50 watts of power and would have otherwise sailed through that headwind. Possibly not though.

I'd also like to add that I found the source of the terrible noise my bike was making. You know the little bent bit of metal from the back plate of a rear mech between the jockey wheels? Well it turns out if you're an idiot of enormous proportions you can thread your new chain on the wrong side of that and then not notice the significant drag it creates for about 200 miles over 2 weeks. Now I think about it, it does explain why my chain stayed so silver on one side when the rest was blackened by normal road crud.

I'm telling myself that it robbed me of at least 50 watts of power and would have otherwise sailed through that headwind. Possibly not though.
We've all done that.

maybe not for 200 miles though.

Yeah. In my case for maybe only 150miles :whistle:

^_^

I was riding next to cupoftea for a bit and didn't even notice. I'm trying to think of something as equally stoopid that I've done, because I'm pretty sure I have. The only thing I noticed on Sunday when I went to pack the bike in the car was that I last adjusted the front brake caliper with the lever in the release position, so rather irritatingly I had to deflate the tyre to take the wheel off.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
^_^

I was riding next to cupoftea for a bit and didn't even notice. I'm trying to think of something as equally stoopid that I've done, because I'm pretty sure I have. The only thing I noticed on Sunday when I went to pack the bike in the car was that I last adjusted the front brake caliper with the lever in the release position, so rather irritatingly I had to deflate the tyre to take the wheel off.
Nice. Nothing quite like a spongey front brake as well.

Nice. Nothing quite like a spongey front brake as well.
Oh no. Even dumber than that. I'd actually adjusted cable tension with the lever in the wrong position and the last time I did that was when I changed the brake blocks which was just after the first Llandudno ride because the paste of sand and rain on that ride finally did for them. So nearly two years it's been like that without me noticing.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Oh no. Even dumber than that. I'd actually adjusted cable tension with the lever in the wrong position and the last time I did that was when I changed the brake blocks which was just after the first Llandudno ride because the paste of sand and rain on that ride finally did for them. So nearly two years it's been like that without me noticing.

:ninja:

Wobblers

Euthermic
^_^

Stupid... well there was the chain joining pin pulling through one of the side plates on the London Road on Tuesday. "No worries", thinks I smugly, "I've got a spare quicklink in my saddle bag, just for these sort of occasions". Only to find my saddle bag conspicuous by its absence. I'd taken it off for the Llandudno ride, and forgotten to put it back on.

Bugger.

It's probably just as well that didn't happen on the way up to Pentre Halkyn. Come to think of it, it's probably just as well I didn't go back the hilly way...

Top Bottom