England : Greater Manchester Manchester to Blackpool 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mapster1989

Who's entered into the Manchester to Blackpool which takes place this weekend?

My first time doing the route and looking forward to it. I'll actually be doing Manchester to Blackpool to St. Helens with a friend. That'll add a little more mileage to the ride.

Anyone done it before? What's the route like?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Route is ok and the second half is faster. It does attract all abilities so best to set off early to avoid the bso smokers wandering all over the road. :thumbsup:

lpretro1

You and several thousand others. Route is mostly flat - wind can be a pain once past Preston and the sea-breeze gets going - so an early start is best - that helps avoids the people who aren't used to riding bikes, kids who are not aware of anyone else and those who never ride bike in groups which is why there are often bad crashes in this event. Give everyone a wide berth when passing!!!

paulw77

Über Member
I'll be doing it. Slightly apprehensive given all the comments I've read about idiots who dont know how to ride.

Last time I did it was in 2007 when I was I one if the said idiots !

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll be doing it. Slightly apprehensive given all the comments I've read about idiots who dont know how to ride.
I can understand inexperienced cyclists being a bit wobbly and indecisive, but what on Earth makes anybody think it is a good idea to suddenly slam their brakes on in the middle of a large group of cyclists, to answer the phone or eat a sandwich!!! :wacko:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
PS Actually, the main thing to learn from that thread is to start early to avoid the crowds of inexperienced cyclists, as already mentioned above!
This advice used to be good but everyone that is new to the ride (i.e inexperienced cyclists) keep being told to start early so surely there are almost as many noobs early doors as there are later on? :wacko:

GentlyBenevolent

I'm in it, along with brother-in-law. We're both group riding newbies, and setting off early, so not sure if this is going to be a good thing (avoid those worse than us) or a bad thing (get in the way of people treating it like a race).

Either way, looking forward to it.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Im doing it again this year, I find it great fun as long as you do the early start .

Last year I did it there and back, so as to get the experience of seeing the seething masses, but from the opposite side of the road, and I do have to say it did not look pretty.

This year I am going from home , so its a nice gentle down hill 20 mile ride to the start , and the weather looks great, 17deg and 5mph winds.

At the finish in Blackpool there is always a good buzz on the small park that we finish on, so have fun boys and girls.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident

Last time I did it was in 2007 when I was I one if the said idiots !

If just starting makes you an idiot, then we have all been idiots, some go on to greater things , some just go sideways and end up as I "king of the numpties"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At the finish in Blackpool there is always a good buzz on the small park that we finish on, so have fun boys and girls.
You won't be finished with the 'numpties' there ... A mate had put Mavic Kysrium wheels on his best bike just before we rode the event. We got to the park and were sitting about in the sunshine with our bikes in front of us on the grass, and several times people went to walk across the spokes! :wacko:

OP
OP
Mapster1989

Mapster1989

You won't be finished with the 'numpties' there ... A mate had put Mavic Kysrium wheels on his best bike just before we rode the event. We got to the park and were sitting about in the sunshine with our bikes in front of us on the grass, and several times people went to walk across the spokes! :wacko:
That's nice of them.
Sounds a bit more positive :smile: We're also planning to continue on back home afterwards (so long as the flesh is willing) to make it up to a round 100 miles.
Myself and my mate are riding back to St. Helens (which I may have already mentioned in this thread. :S) and that will make it a nice 100 miles I think too.

Looking forward to some flat riding. As much as I love hills its nice to get some flat miles under your belt every now and again.

Incidentally, I've also just signed up to the Manchester 100 today too... but I'm sure theres a thread for that one somewhere too.

I'm in riding with mates picking them up on route.

My ride 5.40am leave home, Liverpool - Skelmersdale - Manchester - Preston - Blackpool - Preston - Liverpool = 140 miles

Top Bottom