Manchester to Blackpool 2014...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its this sort of nobber that puts me off doing it anymore.
+1. A nobber knocked my CAAD over a couple of years ago and just looked at me and said, "Oh sorry mate". He was completely oblivious and to him my bike might has well have been a Sports Direct special.

I don't expect everyone to know about bikes like most of us, but never the less I'd be mortified if I knocked someone else's bike over, regardless of what it was.

That said the ride holds a special value for me as it was the first notable distance ride I did when I got into road bikes, so I'll no doubt do it again one year, but I'll be setting off at daft o'clock to avoid all the charity riders.

Shanksy

I wasn't sure on what sort of time people do it in as I'm 6ft4 n 18stone felt good after it deco gonna b quicker next year

6ft2" and 18 stone myself. I did it for the 1st time in 2013 in 3hrs 28mins - 17.75mph average. I was made up with that as i'd only got into cycling 4months beforehand and was a smoker and a little tubby!. I did do around 1,000 miles training for it though which of course sorted me right out.

Not been on the bike since really bar a few rides here and there. Just getting the bug again now so Im planning on doing it this year....wonder how possible 20mph average would be? open ended question of course......

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not possible unless you are in a group or a regular cyclist. Moving from 17 to 20 takes a lot of effort and given you will be delayed by traffic and lights then you will need to be able to ride in the 22 to 25 mph band for some time.

Wind resistance increases massively from 17 upwards.

Shanksy

Fossy

Thanks for your reply pal

Frequency wise ill have to become regular again to give myself a chance. Working in Glasgow centre ate the moment and there's a route from the centre to Loch Lomond which looks a good enough place to train (its around 50-60miles round trip depending where you start). So I will do that twice in the week and then something at weekend and see how I go. I am up in bodyweight at the moment as I've been doing heavy weights for the last few months and eating lots but my weight drops quickly when I get cycling properly.

I was at 17.75 last time. I thought what you say may be the case I.e. lots more effort is required to move up just that few miles per hour, wind resistance will be more of an issue as I have a big fat head lol

Your also right that the Blackpool run probably wont be the best place to up my average over that distance due to traffic etc, its just a personnel thing, I started cycling because of that event and because a girl i worked with bet i couldn't even make it round (she was pretty fit) i ended up beating her by 15mins lol

This cycling route in Glasgow does sound pretty good as there's no roads involved, maybe ill try to hit 20mph average there over 50 or 60 miles.

Looking at my splits over the M2B there are several miles where i hit 20-21mph average when it was flat, i'm good on a flat as my legs are strong, its any hills that slow me down so much cause of my weight and lack of relative fitness.

This week im on one of those city hire bikes just to get my legs going, next week ill bring my Giant road bike with me and start recording my progress

Not possible unless you are in a group or a regular cyclist. Moving from 17 to 20 takes a lot of effort and given you will be delayed by traffic and lights then you will need to be able to ride in the 22 to 25 mph band for some time.

Wind resistance increases massively from 17 upwards.

Top Bottom