Manchester to Blackpool - Sunday 9th July 2017 anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpuddyJones

Is anyone doing this?

I haven't registered for it, but I have decided I want to do it. I'll be riding to the start from Heywood too.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Doing it with my 11yr old. We will most likely be getting dropped off near the start because it will be a big day for him and likely to have a mild headwind for most of the day so don't want to overstretch him. He can currently do our 32 mile training ride barely breaking a sweat so I am fully confident he will be fine on the day with the crowds and atmosphere to pull him along.

I might be wearing my Cyclechat shirt so keep an eye out for us :hello:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just booked a slot on the Mcr-Blackpool. No going back now, will slap the number on Jnr's back. Haven't decided if I will make him wear a helmet or not yet. He hasn't worn one for ages and it might distract him, although there is a risk some knob cyclist will knock him off or have a go at us for not wearing one. Might be worth it just to avoid the agro?

OP
OP
S

SpuddyJones

Just booked a slot on the Mcr-Blackpool. No going back now, will slap the number on Jnr's back. Haven't decided if I will make him wear a helmet or not yet. He hasn't worn one for ages and it might distract him, although there is a risk some knob cyclist will knock him off or have a go at us for not wearing one. Might be worth it just to avoid the agro?

Cool, I am going to book it too.

Not sure if your serious about the helmet distracting him - but I'd never let one of my kids do an event like Manchester to Blackpool without wearing an helmet - not worth the risk.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
but I'd never let one of my kids do an event like Manchester to Blackpool without wearing an helmet - not worth the risk.
I know, we would have to spend all day arguing with ignorant knobbers about the 'need' to wear a helmet. It could really spoil our day!

He is used to the roads and the distance. He is a regular commuter in rush hour urban traffic and managed perfectly well on THIS TRIP earlier in the year but I suppose wearing a helmet for some peace and quiet on this trip is a minor sacrifice to make (although my indignant stubborn side keeps telling me why the hell should we).

Siclo

Veteran
@I like Skol you're going to have to 'adjust' his birthday if anyone asks, minimum rider age is 14 so it's probably worth him wearing a lid to just to avoid drawing attention :rolleyes:

OP
OP
S

SpuddyJones

I know, we would have to spend all day arguing with ignorant knobbers about the 'need' to wear a helmet. It could really spoil our day!

He is used to the roads and the distance. He is a regular commuter in rush hour urban traffic and managed perfectly well on THIS TRIP earlier in the year but I suppose wearing a helmet for some peace and quiet on this trip is a minor sacrifice to make (although my indignant stubborn side keeps telling me why the hell should we).

Ha! Fair enough - whatever you do, be safe :smile:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
......but I'd never let one of my kids do an event like Manchester to Blackpool without wearing an helmet - not worth the risk.
@SpuddyJones I just realised, my reply might be misunderstood as an attack on your post and me rudely telling you to fark off. Trust me it isn't and I am sure you are more enlightened about risk, perceived risk and placebo 'elf-n-safety' measures than many of the gawping commentators we are likely to encounter on the day (trying really hard here not to turn this into a helmet debate thread).
Hopefully we will bump into each other on the day (not literally!) and say hello. It's always good to meet other CC'rs

Noru

I did it in 2012 I seem to remember the T&C's stipulating helmets, so best to check on that front.

Watch out for people with all the gear & no idea, a group of us stopped at a zebra crossing and a Muppet on a TT bike with all the kit came crashing into the back of the stationary group. Obviously not looking where he was going.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The T&Cs did appear to be cut'n'dried in the past stipulating helmets MUST be worn even though they can't enforce that. They now recommend helmet use. They must have been successfully challenged over the wording at some point, although I did see stated at some point during the booking process that under 16s must be accompanied and must wear a helmet. Again, unenforceable as the ride is on public roads and subject to the current laws.
Nothing to stop a youngster from getting his bike out of the shed one morning and deciding to ride helmetless to Blackpool along a route that just happens to be marked by direction arrows that some thoughtful person has set out along the way.

Noru

The T&Cs did appear to be cut'n'dried in the past stipulating helmets MUST be worn even though they can't enforce that. They now recommend helmet use.

Good to hear they've improved the situation, I choose to wear one but strongly disagree with T&Cs that require them. It should be a personal choice.

Noru

Do they always use the same route or does it get minor tweaks to improve it overtime?
Overall I thought the route was very good but the section into Preston could be better if memory serves me right.

tomplodder

Über Member
Hi, I've done this ride for the last two years, first time raised money for christies then last year raised money for stroke cause, I got a lift home on both occasions, but this time I just want to do the ride as it is a great experience.
I just wanted to ask how do people get back to Manchester, there is the train option, but they usually only allow two bikes so not much chance there also I think there maybe return coach and truck for bikes option, but do I have to register for this or can I book it independently, thanks

potsy

Rambler
One thing to consider is the fact that although junior is becoming a competent rider (unlike his father) there are many many nobbers that take part in this ride, he will really need to keep his wits about him to avoid becoming part of the chaos.

Top Bottom