Manchester to Cornwall pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rh100

Looks like a great trip you had there, is it your first tour?

I wonder if there is an easier route, along the south coast maybe, what route did you take through Devon and Cornwall?

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
rh100 said:
Looks like a great trip you had there, is it your first tour?

I wonder if there is an easier route, along the south coast maybe, what route did you take through Devon and Cornwall?

Yes it was my first but definatly not the last ! I went the North Coast route along the A39 which was hard mainly due to the weather turning nasty with rain and a headwind.The South Coast is just as hilly because we drove back home that way but that won't put me off next time because i will try that route for a change :biggrin:

rh100

Ouch, just put that into bikehike and looks like there is some big uns on exmoor.

I haven't toured yet, but would like to.

Where next?

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
rh100 said:
Ouch, just put that into bikehike and looks like there is some big uns on exmoor.

I haven't toured yet, but would like to.

Where next?

No touring planned at the moment but definatly doing Cornwall again !

You must have a go even if it's a short trip,the freedom of being able to stop and look at scenary beats car touring any day....how many people can say they had a good look over the Severn motorway bridge ???

rh100

skudupnorth said:
No touring planned at the moment but definatly doing Cornwall again !

You must have a go even if it's a short trip,the freedom of being able to stop and look at scenary beats car touring any day....how many people can say they had a good look over the Severn motorway bridge ???

I'm thinking of maybe a few days out, possibly Birmingham to Oxford or something fairly close. The more I read on here the more questions I have though! So will probably start a thread once I've decided on a target location.

I've driven all over the UK, and parts of Europe, and I used to go camping a lot when I first got my license, I would often go alone in my old Mini and really enjoyed it, but driving doesn't seem the same as it used to, I hate going anywhere by air, so maybe cycling is the way to get the travel bug back, just need to get myself used to doing some miles :becool:

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I know what you mean about the driving thing,there is no pleasure in it anymore.Europe is brilliant for both driving and camping,done Germany and Czech Republic and it was brilliant ! Need to get back over with the kids to show them what me and the better half used to do before they came along....only problem with doing it now is "are we there yet" !!!!

rh100

I did enjoy driving in the south of France, but getting there from here was a bit tedious!

looe

Kirstie said:
Devon (to a lesser extent) and Cornwall largely suck as cycling destinations. Having ridden through it once on my lejog I will never go there on a bike again....

I live in Cornwall............I love the hills............Flat is boring :biggrin:

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
looe said:
I live in Cornwall............I love the hills............Flat is boring :biggrin:

Trust me i love Cornwall aswell to the point that i am trying to move down with the family but you have some serious hillage down there which like you say would be fun ! I look outside my workplace in Bolton and see Winter hill as easy peesy now !
I hope to do the trip again next year but better prepared,maybe on an ATB with slicks.
P.S. You lucky so and so for living down there !!!!

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Hey Skudupnorth great pics . Quick question how did the Sirrus Elite hold up ? Only went to my lbs enquiring about touring bikes and they really bigged this bike up and ive no reason to doubt them as they havnt let me down to date .

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Jerry Atrik said:
Hey Skudupnorth great pics . Quick question how did the Sirrus Elite hold up ? Only went to my lbs enquiring about touring bikes and they really bigged this bike up and ive no reason to doubt them as they havnt let me down to date .

The bike did not miss a beat,i really expected problems with the wheels crumbling under the weight as they are not proper tourer type rims with the 30 odd spokes, but no nothing gave in.It is fitted with Schalbe Marathon with anti puncture whatsit so no worries there.I do think it was a bit twitchy due to it being a short frame but once i got used to the handling it was a breeze.I also changed the seat to a Brookes B17 which was a mega worthwhile addition on the Cornwall run....no butt pain !
As bikes go it is brilliant,i have hammered it for over 18 months commuting and longer weekend rides and it has not required anything more than a new chain,rear cassette,brake blocks and of course tyres which i changed mainly for winter as they have tread !
Mine is an 08 model and like i say it has been brilliant,go for it !
Glad you like the pics

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Yep the bikes growing on me and reasonably priced as well . Know what you mean about the hills down here . Just done the Devon ctc this weekend and Sustrans describes it as moderate . Moderate my @rz haha. Climbing all the way from Plymouth to Okehampton and dont get me started on Hatherleigh to Sheepwash . This was also my first tour and will get some pics up when i suss out how to do it . Also got the same tent which im using for the first time next weekend for a little whiz round the South Hams ie Totnes , Slapton , East Prawle , Salcombe did it hold up well ? Had good reviews on CC.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Jerry Atrik said:
Yep the bikes growing on me and reasonably priced as well . Know what you mean about the hills down here . Just done the Devon ctc this weekend and Sustrans describes it as moderate . Moderate my @rz haha. Climbing all the way from Plymouth to Okehampton and dont get me started on Hatherleigh to Sheepwash . This was also my first tour and will get some pics up when i suss out how to do it . Also got the same tent which im using for the first time next weekend for a little whiz round the South Hams ie Totnes , Slapton , East Prawle , Salcombe did it hold up well ? Had good reviews on CC.

Glad you like it.Devon is a challenge thats for sure,pity i hit it with rain,wind and out of energy ! Next time i will know what to expect

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Weather was fine this weekend except for the wind , relentless and head on . If i had come the other way from north to south as originally planned it would have been a breeze , pardon the pun .

cyclenic

rsvdaz said:
80849365.jpg

not so steep..but very long!

Where's this too?

Top Bottom