Manchester to Cornwall pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Bit late and not many to show but here are some photos i took during the four day ride from Manchester to Cornwall.I will like to do this ride again but with more planning now i know what Devon and Cornwall has waiting behind those "welcome" signs !

Spec Sirrus Elite.....not the worlds most comfortable long distance tourer !
DSCN3380.jpg

Magic first 100 !
DSCN3399.jpg

Argos £17 tent at Cuckcoos Corner campsite near Hereford on the A49,good site and friendly owners with a good chippy in the village
DSCN3401.jpg

The Old Station near Tintern Abbey,nice food stop
DSCN3416.jpg

Severn crossing at Chepstow
DSCN3422.jpg

Clifton Bridge in Bristol.....then the hills started !
DSCN3425.jpg

Here we go
DSCN3439.jpg

Saturday turned nasty in North Devon,head wind,rain and those hills !
DSCN3442.jpg

At last the end is in sight but i hurt now !
DSCN3443.jpg

Hope you enjoy

jags

Guru
great pic's thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cheers everyone,i have the bug now but i did do a lot of things totally wrong hence sore knees and possible achillis tendon problem which i hope will heal soon.Next time i will do less miles in a day and add another day to the trip plus eat and drink more but take less crap !
Yes Potsy it was a solo trip which was not a problem as the scenery and nice people i got to chat to on the way helped.
Devon and Cornwall really did take it out of me with the length of the climbs,i thought we had hills up here but nothing like the ones down there......even the granny gears were hard to push.
Big plus was crossing the first 100 mile mark,crossing the Severn crossing and of course getting to Cornwall !
Minus points were the constant bashing of the ear from traffic on the A38 and A39....the A49 was quite pleasant for some strange reason,the smell of road kill (never notice in a car ! ) and of course the already mentioned big hills in Devon and Cornwall.
Roll on next one !

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Tail End Charlie said:
Great pictures. I'm a great believer in short breaks, you can really pack a lot in to a few days, you don't have to go off for weeks on end. And you never stop learning.

I learnt the hard way on this one but the next dabble at it will be better.Nice to see another Alty rider on here along with Potsy,i was a Timperley resident until i moved ;)

rsvdaz

im from down 'ere..so know what you mean about the hills!!!

next time try the opposite way.....get easier the further north you go lol

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
rsvdaz said:
im from down 'ere..so know what you mean about the hills!!!

next time try the opposite way.....get easier the further north you go lol

Quality ! I think the Romans built your roads,there was not one that seemed to go round any hill......just straight across with the odd little kink which went up even more.I admire the cyclists down there,it must be a major event just to get on the bike !!!!!

Crankarm

Guru
skudupnorth said:
Quality ! I think the Romans built your roads,there was not one that seemed to go round any hill......just straight across with the odd little kink which went up even more.I admire the cyclists down there,it must be a major event just to get on the bike !!!!!

Did you write there were some hills in Devon and Cornwall?

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Crankarm said:
Did you write there were some hills in Devon and Cornwall?

Major understatement from me !! But i will not let that put me off and i will be back better prepared so at least i can have a memory of the ride and not the pain ;)

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Kirstie said:
Devon (to a lesser extent) and Cornwall largely suck as cycling destinations. Having ridden through it once on my lejog I will never go there on a bike again....
Go on,you know you want to have another bash at them !

Top Bottom