Manchester to Cornwall pictures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Skudupnorth...

thanks for posting a report of your travels and well done in setting off on your first tour.I have yet to do it and having just returned from a motorcycle trip to France etc and met a 62 year old German guy I really do need to as I left him feeling very envious.
I was also interested in seeing your bike has straight bars because I am about to change my drops for straights as I am sure they must be more comfortable. What is your view.It does seem strange that " World Travellers " seem to favour straights but Tourist bikes mainly seem to have drops.Is it a fashion thing I wonder.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
hondated said:
thanks for posting a report of your travels and well done in setting off on your first tour.I have yet to do it and having just returned from a motorcycle trip to France etc and met a 62 year old German guy I really do need to as I left him feeling very envious.
I was also interested in seeing your bike has straight bars because I am about to change my drops for straights as I am sure they must be more comfortable. What is your view.It does seem strange that " World Travellers " seem to favour straights but Tourist bikes mainly seem to have drops.Is it a fashion thing I wonder.

Thanks very much,i am happy you liked it.My bike still has the original straight bars with big bar ends.

Liam2500

Bit late and not many to show but here are some photos i took during the four day ride from Manchester to Cornwall.I will like to do this ride again but with more planning now i know what Devon and Cornwall has waiting behind those "welcome" signs !

Spec Sirrus Elite.....not the worlds most comfortable long distance tourer !
DSCN3380.jpg

Magic first 100 !
DSCN3399.jpg

Argos £17 tent at Cuckcoos Corner campsite near Hereford on the A49,good site and friendly owners with a good chippy in the village
DSCN3401.jpg

The Old Station near Tintern Abbey,nice food stop
DSCN3416.jpg

Severn crossing at Chepstow
DSCN3422.jpg

Clifton Bridge in Bristol.....then the hills started !
DSCN3425.jpg

Here we go
DSCN3439.jpg

Saturday turned nasty in North Devon,head wind,rain and those hills !
DSCN3442.jpg

At last the end is in sight but i hurt now !
DSCN3443.jpg

Hope you enjoy
Hi
I'm 15 years old and want to do a charity bike ride for children in Uganda I'm a keen rider and want to cycle from Manchester originally where I'm from to Devon where I live now I would hope to do this over 5 days and I just want to ask wether it will be safe for someone my age to do it and wether it would be possible for you to send me the route you followed to get to Cornwall my friend would be riding with me who's much older but as just looking for a route someone had acc rid
many thanks
Liam

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Hi
I'm 15 years old and want to do a charity bike ride for children in Uganda I'm a keen rider and want to cycle from Manchester originally where I'm from to Devon where I live now I would hope to do this over 5 days and I just want to ask wether it will be safe for someone my age to do it and wether it would be possible for you to send me the route you followed to get to Cornwall my friend would be riding with me who's much older but as just looking for a route someone had acc rid
many thanks
Liam
Hi Liam, I will check my route out and fill in the details,i did use main A roads including the A49 and A38...cannot remember the one to Chepstow and over the Severn Road bridge

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Right Liam,here goes my route which may not suite you as it was the most direct and used some juicy A roads. A-49 most of the way down up to and just past Hereford.Carry on the A-49 to Kingsthorne and join the A-466 to Monmouth.Stay on the 466 after going through the town centre and follow the River Wye valley to Chepstow ( There is food stops at Tintern Old Station and the abbey) Carry on the A-466 till you see signs for the M-48 which has a cycle path over the Severn Bridge crossing which is an awesome experience ! From there i headed into Bristol as i wanted to see the Clifton Suspension bridge but wish i had taken less kit as the ride up to it was steep as hell and very time consuming. I got to it and enjoyed the views but it id sap up lots of time.From there i joined the A-38 till i got to Bridgewater and followed the A-39 down the Atlantic coast road to Cornwall.
Proberly not the best route and if i get a chance to do it again with more time i would definatly miss the big roads out and enjoy the views.

Liam2500

Right Liam,here goes my route which may not suite you as it was the most direct and used some juicy A roads. A-49 most of the way down up to and just past Hereford.Carry on the A-49 to Kingsthorne and join the A-466 to Monmouth.Stay on the 466 after going through the town centre and follow the River Wye valley to Chepstow ( There is food stops at Tintern Old Station and the abbey) Carry on the A-466 till you see signs for the M-48 which has a cycle path over the Severn Bridge crossing which is an awesome experience ! From there i headed into Bristol as i wanted to see the Clifton Suspension bridge but wish i had taken less kit as the ride up to it was steep as hell and very time consuming. I got to it and enjoyed the views but it id sap up lots of time.From there i joined the A-38 till i got to Bridgewater and followed the A-39 down the Atlantic coast road to Cornwall.
Proberly not the best route and if i get a chance to do it again with more time i would definatly miss the big roads out and enjoy the views.
Thank you so much for your help but how did you plan your route (did you use a app??) because I wanna find a route that doesn't mean going on busy roads like a roads but Is accurate so I don't get lost

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Thank you so much for your help but how did you plan your route (did you use a app??) because I wanna find a route that doesn't mean going on busy roads like a roads but Is accurate so I don't get lost
I used good old map book, marked the route in highlighter and took those pages with me. I camped all the way down but because I was not sure how good or bad my pace would be I did not pre-book anywhere, just turned up at any site near the end of the day. There is loads of info on here about various routes on LeJog which is very helpful and gave me some ideas

Top Bottom