Manchester Velo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It very nearly ended with me buying a track bike last time I went to manchester.......

Fantastic fun, wouldn't mind doing it again..... just watch out for the numpties who don't go round quick enough, then slide off from the top.....

Just getting used to fixed is a little tricky - just don't try and freewheel when coming to a stop......

OP
OP
F

forty-two

Absolute blast. I could not recommend it highly enough. Spent a few laps getting used to the scary banking, especially following someone who was too slow for me. But once I got the hand of the fixed and confidence to use the bends as they are intended it was fantastic. I would second the advice not to freewheel, it does cause an alarming wobble from the rear end!

I rode Paddington a week before they grassed over it, Herne Hill before it was resurfaced and a gorgeous concrete track in SoCal but Ive never ridden the boards. I really must. We were talking in the pub this very eve about a works trip to Manchester Velo as it happens.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The banking won't bother you, it seems so natural. Be prepared to be shocked at how warm it seems cycling indoors and how dry your throat will become. Don't try to slow down by resisting the pedals!

You'll have a blast and you'll enjoy yourself a hundred times more than if you were on an exercise bike.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Sounds like we have a strong Manchester contingent (or at least people wanting to go to the Velo up here) wanting to have a go.... anyone feel up to trying to organise anything?

I'm thinking post-Christmas would be better for me, I have a 10 week old who seems to like being fed at inconvenient times (i.e. 6.30pm til whenever whe feels full) which leaves me trying to get our other Daughter bathed and into bed without too much fuss (yeah, right, a 3.5 year old understands the concept of 'not too much fuss' rather differently to me!!). When the youngest gets a bit older then my evening may start to become a little less hectic.

This is, of course, assuming that we're talking about an evening trip.

SamNichols

Of late they've been quite bad r.e trying to book group trips: they haven't let our cycling club anywhere near the place without track accreditation. So, if we want a group trip, then basically we'll have to choose a date and all book up one of their taster sessions.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm game. I'm just not very good at organising stuff but would be interested if somebody wants to take the trouble.

SamNichols said:
if we want a group trip, then basically we'll have to choose a date and all book up one of their taster sessions.

Basically what the tri club's done, except there weren't enough of us to fill it so there's some of us and some Joe Public.
- probably turn-out to be another club who are faster than us !

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
That's what I was thinking, Sam. Not an organised trip in the sense that we book in as a group (didn't know you could do that), but rather a 'lets-all-pick-the-same-day-for-a-taster-session'.

I'll try to get the ball rolling then, anyone have a strong preference for a particular day of the week first of all?

I've just looked at the Taster Session timetable, didn't fully comprehend that the slots were so limited (stands to reason though, I guess).. :biggrin:

Monday: 5.00 - 6:00pm
Tuesday 12:00 - 1:00pm
Wednesday 1:00 - 2:00pm
Thursday 12:00 - 1:00pm, 5:00 - 6:00pm
Friday 12:00 - 1:00pm
Saturday 6:00 - 7:00pm
Sunday 12:00 - 1:00pm, 5:00 - 6:00pm

Monday would be okay with me, still give me time to get back home to assist with getting the wee ones ready for bed. Similarly Thurs would be okay, although I play footie on Friday at dinnertime - unsure whether I'd be recovered for that though!!

Your thoughts chaps?

longers

Legendary Member
From that timetable I can only do weekends.

I've got to get home from work during the week and sort the dog out and then it's probably 3/4 hr ride from here. No can do for 5 o clock session start.

SamNichols

Weekends are best for me too, as I don't like to leave the library until around 7. I'm about a ten minute ride from there, but is the cycle parking secure? I wouldn't want Fran to get stolen (which is one of the likelihoods of parking a bike in that area of Manchester). So, I might just walk it, it's only about 3 miles.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
So are we talking about a Saturday then, 6pm - 7pm? (my cunning powers of observation in working order!).

Should be okay with me for one night, I better check with She Who Must Be Obeyed though (unsure whether that's my Wife or one/both of my Daughters now!). :biggrin:

I'll possibly PM John the Monkey to see if he's up for it too, as he hasn't made an appearance in here today.

Christopher

Über Member
hi Sam
Bike parking at the Velodrome sucks but you can take your bike right into the arena. You go into Reception, carry the bike down the stairs just there, through the double doors and up the ramp to the right. You'll emerge in the flat area inside the track and you can park your bike on the left, in the competitors' area. You don't even need a lock! I had my commute nail in there last night, merrily dripping water over the floor and surrounded by gorgeous track machines.

For a taster session, I wear shorts, helmet, mitts, a sleeveless wicking base layer and a short-sleeved jersey, and a hankerchief in the pocket for the sweat. I have a small water bottle and 2-3 energy bars placed on the top of the drinks machine next to the track, so I can drink and eat without getting off the bike. A taster can be quite hard as you can be doing 50 minutes at pace out of the hour.

FWIW I am still a beginner and have about 5 hours of track time ever, still learning to go round safely, never mind anything fancy. I would like to join you lot if I may. I think that Saturday session is the most popular of the weekend and it books up pretty fast. Least popular is the Sunday lunchtime one.

Top Bottom