Manchester Velodrome.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What a brilliant night, absolutely loved it and reckon with a bit of practice I could be quite reasonable.

We did have a tumble :eek: @Kestevan went down quite hard when he forgot to keep pedalling. The resulting damage to the track held up the session for 5-10 minutes while emergency repairs comprising of sandpaper and duct tape were carried out..... Unfortunately this also meant Kes had to retire because his already troublesome foot was now fubar'd and continuing to ride just wasn't an option :sad:
The rest of us continued and completed some punishing exercises including a 25 lap scratch race. This was won by @DCLane who skilfully passed me and pulled away on the final half lap before I could realise what was happening and respond.
We also did the 'traditional' timed flying 250m lap and @colly will be along shortly with the results of that.

Can't wait for the next one and hope everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks to @colly for organising the session and at least no-one else ended up on the woodwork @ColinJ

Well done to the first-timers who did an awful lot in the 2-hour period.

Last edited:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Had a great time last night , and like banking it was a steep learning curve, from riding the concrete apron to riding the rail at the top of that intimidating bank in around 15mins there was no time to decide if it was a good idea to be up there it was a "just do it" moment. Looking back it was good that the group chose to do drills and races rather than just lap as individuals , i learned much more at a high speed than i would have done left to my own devices and courage, especially having the bad luck of a back wheel puncture half way round one of the banking's and slithering down to the bottom holding on for grim death and awaiting the ouch, luckily coming to a stop and being able to swap bikes and get going again.
Cheers go to Colly for organizing it.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
especially having the bad luck of a back wheel puncture half way round one of the banking's and slithering down to the bottom holding on for grim death
:eek: I wasn't aware of that little drama! Must have been quite tense until you reached less vertical terrain!!!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
How is @Kestevan today? I bet those friction burns are tender, as well as gouging the track I think you left a fair patch of skin behind. They did send someone out with a dustpan and brush to sweep your bits up after the crash....

A bit tender.
Had to take the eldest back to uni today, so a long drive with sore arm and foot.
Ended up in a chemist's in London to buy a dressing so my fleece wouldn't stick to the 6 inches of my arm without skin. The pharmacist turned a fetching shade of green when I showed her why I needed it..... Seemed to think I should be in A&E..... They're a soft lot these shandy swilling southern Jessie's. 😉

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Well that was a good session.

The results of the timed lap as as follows:

1st............................@ I like Skol.....................19.23
2nd...........................Giles.................................20.03
3rd............................Rob..................................20.25
4th............................Dan..................................21.50
5th...........................@steph.............................21.72
6th...........................@DClane..........................22.22
7th...........................David B.............................22.43
8th..........................Andrew..............................22.49
9th..........................@oldfentiger.....................22.53
10th........................Paul S.................................22.56
11th........................Paul H................................22.57
12th........................Peter..................................22.63
13th........................Colly...................................23.09

Apologies for not knowing the forum names of everyone. Let me know and I'll amend the post.

Well done Skolly. Next time ...........next time...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just for completeness I have had a quick play around with the numbers and calculated your lap average speeds too.

Dec 2018;
1579515576211.png

Jan 2020;
1579515620447.png

As you can see, some people improved on the previous time, others got slower :whistle:

@colly, your training starts tomorrow..... :training:

3 people took the option of hiring the timing chips, me included, and data can be seen here - https://sporthive.com/Practice/Details/402

1579516036708.png

I am NCC42, Rob was 127 and not sure who had the 3rd transponder chip? My data recorded 123 laps which is about 19.25 miles with an average speed of 22.5mph.

Top Bottom