Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Emu

Emu

The job application has to be in by the 20th. I could apply for the same kind of job here at television centre but I need a change. I could make it a 6 month attachment so that I come back to my usual job in which case I don't need to take the rest of the family with me. My husband seems to be fine with that. I spent the bank holiday weekend up in Manchester for the euro nations hockey and just thought if a job came up I could live and work in Manchester. It was also the weekend of the Pride festival and there just seemed a fantastic atmosphere in the city centre. Also it was sunny, so may be that helped too! 18 years ago when I last was there it was raining!
In the end my decision to apply will be based on how my husband would cope with the kids and whether my son gets into the U13 surrey hockey team. If he does he'll be reliant on me taking him to training and matches as my husband doesn't drive.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just noticed you live in Croydon!

Go North young woman, go North! You won't regret it.

OP
OP
Emu

Emu

Rigid raider - I'm a born and bred Londoner and the only time I've not lived within the M25 was when I was at college in Devon for 3 years. I wouldn't choose to live there again. I like a bit of noise and thuggery!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Snap! I was born in London and lived there for 7 years after graduating. I loved it but my only real dislike was being so far from open country.

By contrast last Sunday I rode 16 miles with over 1000 feet of climbing in the Forest of Bowland, over misty fells with tumbling streams and blooming heather, almost Scottish - all within 20 minutes drive of my house.

elvisparsley

If you are looking at the city itself. Chorlton is the best place to live near the city centre, at only 4 miles out. I'm not just saying that because I'm from there either. A tad over-priced though, and I'm not so keen on the bike shop there. Loads of bars and restaurants, good schools and a few nice shops. West Didsbury is similar in character but pricier. Around there you have the much cheaper improving areas like Whalley Range and Urmston (which has a great bike shop this time). Out west, Salford does have lovely areas (Worsley(££££), Ellesmere Park, and Monton is on the up), and in the east you have Heaton Chapel and the other Heatons. North Manchester is keeping it real although there are pretty exciting new developments in Ancoats and down in one of the most deprived areas of Salford which could change these areas completely in a few years if they work. Then of course you have Altrincham and anywhere further south which are great if you can afford it and if you don't mind orange tans

Spin City

Über Member
Emu

I work in the office block on the other side of the bridge where the BBC offices are being built.

From the top floor where I work there is a good view of the Peak District which is excellent territory for the discerning cyclist and it's less than 30 kilometres away.

South Manchester (Trafford Council area) where I live offers good housing and schools and is a short commuting distance from Salford Quays.

I'm originally from London but Manchester is a thriving city with plenty going on (although nowhere near as much as the Capital).

Top Bottom