Manifold Trail question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As per title..
I'm likely going to be in the area walking next week and am thinking of a pedal along the Manifold Trail to finish the day.
I'll be parking in Waterhouses, on the A523 and heading north for as many miles as my legs will take, Thor's Cave & Wetton, probably.

Question is, is it suitable for a Brompton or should I take the CX?

🤔

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Manifold Track is paved, so Brommie will be fine. The close-ish by Tissington Trail and High peak trail are loose compacted gravel.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

The Manifold Track is paved, so Brommie will be fine. The close-ish by Tissington Trail and High peak trail are loose compacted gravel.

That's good, Thanks. I've done Tissington a few times & High Peaks once, so thought Manifold would complete the trio. 👍

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its very smooth in comparison to T & HP and very flat. There is a tea room at Wetton and one at Hulme end, but may well be closing by your "finish the day". There is however a pub, the Manifold Inn at Hulme end....and one on the main road at the Waterhouse end for that matter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't ride through the ford on the Matlock side. Oh how we laughed when a clubmate fell in

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Strangely enough I have found the Tissington trail excellent in all weathers.
The Manifold trail I found really bumpy (it may be tarmac but has loads of drainage run off things) unless it's been resurfaced recently.
The High Peak trail has loads of gates to negotiate.

The cafe at Hulme End is well worth a visit.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Well.. I did the Trail from Waterhouses up as far as Thor's Cave as my legs were weary from my walk and it would have been getting dark on the way back if I'd have gone much further as I only had see-me lights with me.
It's OK, mainly, on the Brommie but with some of the surface deteriorating, the CX would have been more comfortable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well.. I did the Trail from Waterhouses up as far as Thor's Cave as my legs were weary from my walk and it would have been getting dark on the way back if I'd have gone much further as I only had see-me lights with me.
It's OK, mainly, on the Brommie but with some of the surface deteriorating, the CX would have been more comfortable.

That's a shame with the surface - it's maybe 25 years since I rode it, and that was on road bikes !

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

That's a shame with the surface - it's maybe 25 years since I rode it, and that was on road bikes !

Lots of the 5 or 6 miles was good going, but there's some lumpy tree roots and surface missing in places.
Not sure about a road bike now, but possible if you slow right down and weave around a bit!

Top Bottom