Manitou Magnum Front shocks maintenance (around 2002ish?)

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by MountainSide, 15 Jul 2018.

Tags:
  1. MountainSide

MountainSide Active Member

I have these on my Marin hybrid from around 2002 (give or take a couple of years) They work fine but have started to have a very slight squeek. Not really a problem at this stage but anyone any advice on maintenance? Is it just a case of taking the spring out (left side) clean and regrease? Is the oil likely to be a problem - I see the manual suggests replacement every year (which has never been done) Assuming I have the right model that even has oil???. I have taken the spring out to look at it but I just put it all back together without changing anything. I have not gone as far as looking for/at the oil.

I do have Weldtite TF2 lithium grease, is that any good for the spring or do I need something more specific?

Am I going to have problems needing to replace old seals and washers etc if I start stripping it all down? Should I just leave it alone?

It does have microlube ports but I assume it is easier doing manually. Do I need to do the right side too, without the spring?

Only other thing, when using the adjuster to make the ride firmer, the screw just keeps on turning. Is there a fix for that or is it a broken part? That was the other reason I took it apart in the past, to see if the adjuster was actually doing anything - it does but just keeps going around in that direction.

So the main question, is there any easy fix to the squeak, without risking doing any damage or should I just leave it until it gets worse?

I have tried cleaning the forks under the boots and putting on some oil but that made no difference/

I found the following manual but I'm not sure if it is the same model. It looks about right. As I said, I have only taken out the spring before from the top on the left, checking the oil seems a lot more complicated?

http://suspensionforkparts.net/manuals/Manitou/Manitou_Magnum_2001.pdf

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice