Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Walking through Portsmouth yesterday on Queens Street and there was a Police presence outside one of the flats.

Then two undertakers came out with what was obviously a body in a sealed bag

I stopped, removed my hat, let them cross replaced hat and went on my way.

An old gentleman stopped me and complimented me saying that it was something he hadn't seen done for a long time.

Removing your hat for a funeral or cases like this used to be common

What other simple manners have slipped out of common use, and which you miss?

Radchenister

Veteran
What if you don't wear a hat?

paul04

Über Member
Just before chrismas I was out running, and I was going pass a funeral procession, and I stopped took off my hat and waited till they went passed, its like just showing your respect.

Simple manners, its like people leave there manners them at home these days, but a simple one, holding the door open, alot of people never look behind them when walking through a door and just close it on you.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just before chrismas I was out running, and I was going pass a funeral procession, and I stopped took off my hat and waited till they went passed, its like just showing your respect.

Simple manners, its like people leave there manners them at home these days, but a simple one, holding the door open, alot of people never look behind them when walking through a door and just close it on you.

What about those that don't even acknowledge you when you do hold it open for them?

You can't beat a loud, "it's alright, don't mention it," to make them jump.

ayceejay

Guru
A lot of things that seemed once to matter have gone the way of the dodo, come over this side of the pond and have the pixx taken for saying sorry and you will know what I mean. The American catch all "Have a nice day" has graduated to "Have Grreat day" that I find even more annoying but in terms of manners am I being old fashioned when handed my purchases at a cash desk with a "There ya go" and I bristle?
Montreal has a peculiar standard when walking in the street. In England when approaching someone walking towards you you would both take half a step to one side without hardly noticing, not here! Here, you brush by people at the last minute they having seemingly just noticed you.

postman

Legendary Member
Two minds think alike ianrauk.

gbb

Legendary Member

Hmm, sometimes you can be overly polite. I consider myself polite, very much so. I remember driving to some local shops and being agitated by a driver who insisted on being three feet off my boot :angry:.
I turned off to the shops, he followed, i pulled up at the shops, so did he, we got out of our cars and i said to him...'didnt get here any faster did you ? sat on my tail for the last two miles'
No real response followed...we walked almost together to the shop door....and i held it open for him !!!!
Realising what i'd done, i said sarcastically 'and i don't know why i'm bothering doing that either' (holding the door open)...
Old habits die hard. :whistle:

Snarf

This isn't to do with manners per se, but I'm starting (at a relatively young age of 36) to have a real thing about tattoos. It usee to be the case it was armed forces personnel who had them, and to me thats fine, I have no problem with that. But now, I can't move for tattoos. It seems that I have a problem with women having them really, I just don't think they look good on women, it just makes them look, for want of a better word, rough. Just my opinion of course...

mark st1

Plastic Manc
This isn't to do with manners per se, but I'm starting (at a relatively young age of 36) to have a real thing about tattoos. It usee to be the case it was armed forces personnel who had them, and to me thats fine, I have no problem with that. But now, I can't move for tattoos. It seems that I have a problem with women having them really, I just don't think they look good on women, it just makes them look, for want of a better word, rough. Just my opinion of course...

lol i was under the impression my skin was to do with as i wish. The words "more sociably acceptable" spring to mind.

Top Bottom