Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
What about those that don't even acknowledge you when you do hold it open for them?

You can't beat a loud, "it's alright, don't mention it," to make them jump.
I have developed perfect timing , and can normally let the door close on them . Normally they don't complain because they know exactly why it's happened.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The American catch all "Have a nice day" has graduated to "Have Grreat day" that I find even more annoying
Bloke I worked with was in America with his elderly mother, and the girl at the till said to his mum 'Have a nice day.' She, hard of hearing, said 'I'm sorry?' to which the girl replied: 'I said have a nice day, what are you, deaf?'

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
You decide when they're halfway through the door, that they're not going to massage your fragile ego say anything and shut the door on them?
It's normally well past halfway that I realise that they are ignorant gits that I have wasted effort on out of my politeness , are not going to join in on societies norms, and so I reduce my level of effort to match theirs.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I love my kids dearly and think they're all wonderful, but I appreciate not everyone feels the same about them or kids in general. I have always ensured that they do not run riot when we're out for a pub lunch etc, they put litter in bins, that sort of thing.

Manners is respecting other peoples feelings, whether it be a please or thank you, holding a door (I know a girl at work would be very offended at the patronising paternalism of such an act), controlling your pride and joy when out and about or whatever.

Hotblack Desiato

There is nothing sexist at all in holding open a door through which you have just passed to let the next person through. And if anyone gave me grief after I'd done so I would give it straight back with a bit of interest. OTOH letting the 'lady' go through first is perhaps another matter.

( WRT this, I always think of those gentlemen on the Titanic who lost their lives. Letting women into the lifeboats first. Whatever next. That larned 'em.)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
manners maketh man , but never maketh woman

Hotblack Desiato

[QUOTE 2280468, member: 259"]It's not sexist at all, it's just politeness. I still open the car door for my wife, who is much brainier than me, much more capable than me, and earns much more than me. Anyway, it was what I was taught to do as a kid and I can't see myself changing my behaviour now. :hello:[/quote]

No doubt the younger generation makes allowances for their elders' behaviour. Which is polite.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The over use of the word mate makes me cringe. Women calling anyone mate, especially men, yuk! As for children addressing adults as mate :ohmy:! I remember years ago my daughter came home from junior school and told me of a boy who'd been sent home for calling their teacher mate and refusing to call the teacher sir or Mr.
Another one, tattooed women, they're all over the place!:ohmy: I saw a request on a dating agency site the other day alongside the usual must have GSOH, likes the theatre etc. It read strictly no tattooes!!:laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
The over use of the word mate makes me cringe. Women calling anyone mate, especially men, yuk! As for children addressing adults as mate :ohmy:! I remember years ago my daughter came home from junior school and told me of a boy who'd been sent home for calling their teacher mate and refusing to call the teacher sir or Mr.
Another one, tattooed women, they're all over the place!:ohmy: I saw a request on a dating agency site the other day alongside the usual must have GSOH, likes the theatre etc. It read strictly no tattooes!!:laugh:

You don't like it - good. It's a very handy low-key way to discourage unwanted male attention without having to tell anyone to f**k off. Similarly, for children addressing adults, it can be a handy tool of insubordination. The prejudice against people with tattoos is very boring, by the way...

Top Bottom