Manners - which do you miss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
[QUOTE 2280468, member: 259"]It's not sexist at all, it's just politeness. I still open the car door for my wife, who is much brainier than me, much more capable than me, and earns much more than me. Anyway, it was what I was taught to do as a kid and I can't see myself changing my behaviour now. :hello:[/quote]
My Beetle's drivers's door's lock used to freeze up so the first time I met the parents-in-law-to-be I opened Mrs A_T's door first to let her in.... :angel:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You don't like it - good. It's a very handy low-key way to discourage unwanted male attention without having to tell anyone to f**k off. Similarly, for children addressing adults, it can be a handy tool of insubordination. The prejudice against people with tattoos is very boring, by the way...
Big horrible overweight women with tattooed backs, tattooed, arms tattooed feet even tattooed tits, but if you like that kind of thing...each to their own as they say!!:laugh:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
"A gentleman always walks on the outside of the pavement".

I always do this and fine it amusing/ a tad irritating when, after crossing over a road, I am re-positioning myself to the outside - and female is looking all round to see where I have gone ! ^_^

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
The over use of the word mate makes me cringe.
Hmmm

"Oy mate, how do I get to X?" A familiar shout from lorry/van drivers. You will note, it's not " Excuse me, could you tell me how to get to X please?" The latter always gets answered, the former ... depends on my mood, it either gets ignored or answered with directions about 120 degrees out. 180 degrees is too easy to retrack.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Once upon a time we were polite to most people as a default, whether we liked the way they addressed us or not, no matter what they looked like. I wonder - when did that stop?

Top Bottom