Map Help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moving to norfolk soon and really want to get back into cycling as the stones have piled back on over the last years. But as I dont know the area I'm asking what is the difference , and which map is best for cycling between explorer and landranger maps, obviously very small quiet roads around the area .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191026-145919_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026-145919_Chrome.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20191026-145840_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191026-145840_Chrome.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1

vickster

Legendary Member

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Explorer series show everything in exceptional detail and are great for interesting curiosities.

The Landranger series show a larger area but not so much detail. These are better once you start traveling longer distances as you get back in shape. You will probably find you ride off the edge of the other map very quickly.

I love paper OS maps, so I’m going to go with, ‘Get both!’ After all you will be living there now.

robgul

Legendary Member
Answering the original question relating to choice of paper maps - the 1-50,000 Landranger is fine for cycling (the 1-25,000 Explorer will have too much detail) - time was when the "Barts 1/2 inch" were THE cycling maps!

Personally I would avoid Sustrans printed maps.

Rob

pawl

Legendary Member
OS are great for details Back in the day I usedBartholomew's if memory serves me correct they were half inch to the mile and not as bulky as OS not sure if still available

pawl

Legendary Member
Answering the original question relating to choice of paper maps - the 1-50,000 Landranger is fine for cycling (the 1-25,000 Explorer will have too much detail) - time was when the "Barts 1/2 inch" were THE cycling maps!

Personally I would avoid Sustrans printed maps.

Rob
Didn’t read your post prior to responding to OP Barr’s maps were ideal for cycling Do you know if they are still available

1: 50,000 Landranger ( purple) 2cm per km is standard for hiking and fine exploration but you can ride off the map quite rapidly.
1:25,000 Explorer ( orange) 4cm per km is too big for cycling but good for finding connecting tracks and trails.

postman

Legendary Member
1572169490485.png
Don't forget to volunteer for the Home Guard.Do your bit for King and Country.But don;t tell Pike your real name.And once you have mastered your way around Norfolk eat your maps.Don't want the Gerry to get info.

View attachment 490713 Don't forget to volunteer for the Home Guard.Do your bit for King and Country.But don;t tell Pike your real name.And once you have mastered your way around Norfolk eat your maps.Don't want the Gerry to get info.
Norfolk was well covered by auxiliary units and the remains of the operation bases can be found if you know where to look but they are not marked on any map. For the moment, the AU have been stood down.

https://www.coleshillhouse.com/norfolk-auxiliary-units-and-obs.php

Top Bottom