map holder for audax events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use both gps device and routesheet. The routesheet gives more context to my location and is a low-tech back-up.
I am still using an original Garmin Etrex which gives no context whatsoever, so I know what you mean!

On my recent 208 km forum ride in Cheshire, the delay in the GPS rotating the image on the display at bends and junctions led to us going the wrong way several times. I can spot it within a few metres once the display has caught up, but it is annoying!

The other reason for missing turns was being too busy chatting and forgetting to look at the GPS, but that would also apply to a routesheet.

I think I will buy a new GPS which has mapping for that context, and a beep alarm for turns. I can use my phone for high-tech backup, or just carry the old Etrex in my bag for emergency use - it is hardly worth selling.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I am still using an original Garmin Etrex which gives no context whatsoever, so I know what you mean!

On my recent 208 km forum ride in Cheshire, the delay in the GPS rotating the image on the display at bends and junctions led to us going the wrong way several times. I can spot it within a few metres once the display has caught up, but it is annoying!

The other reason for missing turns was being too busy chatting and forgetting to look at the GPS, but that would also apply to a routesheet.

I think I will buy a new GPS which has mapping for that context, and a beep alarm for turns. I can use my phone for high-tech backup, or just carry the old Etrex in my bag for emergency use - it is hardly worth selling.
Think I've said before that I don't use my Garmin for the turn-by-directions but simply as a digital map (OS). Yes, I know about the "paper maps don't run out of power" argument but the Garmin has the advantage of being waterproof, and shows where I am and the route thus far, invaluable when you have the navigational skills of a coffeejo.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Yehbut you still need the route notes coz Garmin can't identify info controls.

tommaguzzi

Über Member
I don't think my edge does waypoints. So i just follow the breadcrumb trail of the published gpx route and refer to the notes when I know an info control is coming up. Works for me.

Top Bottom