Mapping stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ridewithgps

Strava

Cycle-travel (not sure if this one gives elevation)

[QUOTE 5462367, member: 9609"]Bike Hike seems to have stopped working. Can anyone recommend me an alternative to calculate miles and ascent[/QUOTE]
I'm not a user of this site, but it looks like something has gone wrong with the Google API. They may not know, so if you have been a user of this site, it might courteous to give them a heads up .... admin@bikehike.co.uk

It's a result of Google's fairly recent change in charging model for Maps access, which has affected quite a few sites where paying Google quite a lot isn't an option.

Try Suunto's mapping element on their Movescount site (that being the Suunto equivalent of Garmin Connect). It produces similar ascent figures to BikeHike in most cases and offers a variety of map sources and routing choices.

MikeG

Guru
[QUOTE 5462367, member: 9609"]Bike Hike seems to have stopped working. Can anyone recommend me an alternative to calculate miles and ascent[/QUOTE]

So has bikeroutetoaster.

Ridewithgps is great, but beware that if you "optimise for cycling" you will get unsurfaced tracks, farm paths and the like. If you intend to just ride on the road, select "optimise for driving" and tick "avoid highways".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cycle-travel (not sure if this one gives elevation)
Click the mountain symbol. It has ↑ and ↓ figures on the 2d plot and % when you move the pointer along not-long routes.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What is really useful on Bikehike is the OS 1:50000 "Landranger" mapping. Any alternatives for that?
Memory Map are currently doing their GB Landranger download for only £45 - HERE. That's what I use.

OS maps do a 30 quid package for all UK maps at all good scales, and the plotting is good. Obvs can be used for walking etc too. Happy user here
I assume that is for an annual subscription? Benefit - the maps will always be current.

MM is a one-off purchase, but the maps do gradually get slightly out of date as new roads are built. In most areas it isn't a big issue - I have only encountered a handful of new (or missing!) roads in the 12 years that I have been using MM. Every now and then you could upgrade for about half price if you wanted to. I have only bothered once, when they did a very special deal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
OS maps do a 30 quid package for all UK maps at all good scales, and the plotting is good. Obvs can be used for walking etc too. Happy user here
Some irrational love of the OS map style is about the only reason I can see to pay out for raster maps at a limited set of preset scales that don't show cycle routes clearly when infinitely-zoomable vector maps are available for free.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 5463797, member: 9609"]you've saved the day - just had an email to say its all up and running again.

Anyhows, how are you, are you back on the bike[/QUOTE]
I sent an email too. Got the "it's all OK" message like you but there is actually no mapping at all to be found now. So I've emailed again. Perhaps you'd like to check if it's working for you??

Top Bottom