Mapping stuff

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Reiver, 6 Dec 2018.

1. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Bike Hike seems to have stopped working. Can anyone recommend me an alternative to calculate miles and ascent

2. Supersuperleeds

Supersuperleeds Guru

Ridewithgps

Strava

Cycle-travel (not sure if this one gives elevation)

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Plotaroute in addition to above.

4. I'm not a user of this site, but it looks like something has gone wrong with the Google API. They may not know, so if you have been a user of this site, it might courteous to give them a heads up .... admin@bikehike.co.uk

5. Sea of vapours

Sea of vapours Über Member

It's a result of Google's fairly recent change in charging model for Maps access, which has affected quite a few sites where paying Google quite a lot isn't an option.

Try Suunto's mapping element on their Movescount site (that being the Suunto equivalent of Garmin Connect). It produces similar ascent figures to BikeHike in most cases and offers a variety of map sources and routing choices.

Reiver likes this.
  6. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

What is really useful on Bikehike is the OS 1:50000 "Landranger" mapping. Any alternatives for that?

7. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Cycle.travel

Komoot

8. MikeG

MikeG Guru

So has bikeroutetoaster.

Ridewithgps is great, but beware that if you "optimise for cycling" you will get unsurfaced tracks, farm paths and the like. If you intend to just ride on the road, select "optimise for driving" and tick "avoid highways".

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  9. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Click the mountain symbol. It has ↑ and ↓ figures on the 2d plot and % when you move the pointer along not-long routes.

10. woodenspoons

woodenspoons Über Member

OS maps do a 30 quid package for all UK maps at all good scales, and the plotting is good. Obvs can be used for walking etc too. Happy user here

11. ColinJ

ColinJ A big clot!

Memory Map are currently doing their GB Landranger download for only £45 - HERE. That's what I use.

I assume that is for an annual subscription? Benefit - the maps will always be current.

MM is a one-off purchase, but the maps do gradually get slightly out of date as new roads are built. In most areas it isn't a big issue - I have only encountered a handful of new (or missing!) roads in the 12 years that I have been using MM. Every now and then you could upgrade for about half price if you wanted to. I have only bothered once, when they did a very special deal.

12. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Some irrational love of the OS map style is about the only reason I can see to pay out for raster maps at a limited set of preset scales that don't show cycle routes clearly when infinitely-zoomable vector maps are available for free.

13. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Yes that is the beauty of bikehike.

Looking back at the OP, I must have thought other CCers were psychic or something, I'm looking for mapping that also has the OS map like Bikehike. I was in despair at what was being recommended, I understand now

14. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

Can't get it to work at the moment but that sounds good. Bike hike used a good filter for ascent and as such gave more accurate readings. Some of the other sites I have tried are showing much higher inaccurate ascent.

15. OP
    OP
    Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

you've saved the day - just had an email to say its all up and running again.

Anyhows, how are you, are you back on the bike

jefmcg likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice