Maps for EV4?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
We are in the detailed planning stages of our 2019 tour, and as we cannot be arsed with the hassle of train or flights back from Constanta have decided on a circular tour. Ferry to St Malo, down to Nantes, follow EV 6 to Bratislava (Slovakia) - we have maps for this lot. Then turn left to Brno in the Czech Republic, follow EV4 back to Netherlands, Hook of Holland and home. This bit of the EV4 I can't find any maps for - does anyone know if they exist, or should we just follow our noses (or whatever we pick up along the way)? GPS routes we don't want, as I prefer maps, and we don't use/have much electricity.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Netherlands section seems to be LF13, while Germany looks to follow mainly the Rhine route, D5 (IIRC) and D11 - I suspect there are paper maps for those from their national cycling organisations. There are definitely excellent cycling maps for each region in the Netherlands which can be bought from various places including Stanfords in London. Does the Book Hive on London Street have maps or can they order them in?

In the Czech Republic the last part is route 6, but not all of the earlier parts are shared with national routes, and I don't know where to get Czech cycle route maps from.

Good luck!

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Mainz back to the Hook of Holland is no problem, we came back from Italy that way a couple of years ago. Looks like the guide to the River Main route will get us from Bayreuth to Mainz. Maybe just have to make up the Czech bit as we go along - can't carry too many maps anyway, so maybe just head for Bayreuth and see if we can buy a guide there, similarly in Mainz. We have been able to buy Bikeline guides quite easily in Germany previously.

Reactions: mjr
Another option is head to Prague to pick up the Elbe.
Then cut across to the Rhine further north in Germany on either the D3 or D4.
Probably more lumpy in Germany but easier route finding in the Czech Republic.

I did Linz to Prague then Elbe to the sea when I was in that area.

Luck ........ ^_^

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Another option is head to Prague to pick up the Elbe.
Then cut across to the Rhine further north in Germany on either the D3 or D4.
Probably more lumpy in Germany but easier route finding in the Czech Republic.

I did Linz to Prague then Elbe to the sea when I was in that area.

Luck ........ ^_^
Thanks for the suggestion, we were thinking of going via Prague - I didn't realise there was a river route from there to the North Sea. As we are doing a "Rivers" tour (Loire, Saone, Rhine, Danube) the Elbe could make a suitable return leg. What was the riding like? Are there off road trails, or is is it just follow suitable roads?

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Update - found lots of info on the ElbeRadweg online - looks we have a plan for the whole tour! (Could be dangerous though - we have never actually followed a plan for a whole trip!)

I'm glad I helped.

My "rivers" route was a big fig 8.
Rhine -> Rhône -> CdM & Garonne -> Loire -> Saône -> Rhine (cont) -> Danube -> Vltava -> Elbe -> NS coast.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Sounds a good trip - haven't done all of them, but on separate tours have done the Rhone, Rhine, some of the Saone, CdM & Garonne. Looks like this trip can fill in the Loire, the upstream half of the Danube and the Elbe. Less than 3 weeks to the off now...

Brains

Legendary Member
Thanks for the suggestion, we were thinking of going via Prague - I didn't realise there was a river route from there to the North Sea. As we are doing a "Rivers" tour (Loire, Saone, Rhine, Danube) the Elbe could make a suitable return leg. What was the riding like? Are there off road trails, or is is it just follow suitable roads?

We did the Elbe in 2016,
We used the wonderful Bikeline books
We went from Magedeburg (middle Germany, near Berlin) south to Decin (Just inside the Czech border)
We did a section of the return trip (north) on a river paddle steamer from Bad Schandau to Meissen which was great.
In Germany, most of the cycle route was varied between excellent and superb!
There are a lot of historical places worth stopping at on the way
The Czech section was more like a Sustrans route.
We spoke to a number of people who had cycled up from Prague and they said there were sections where it was just a footpath, but it's ride-able most of the way

A side tour to Berlin is possible from the Elbe leaving at Wittenburg up the D11 cycle route and the rejoining via the Havel/Elbe canal

snorri

Legendary Member
. Then turn left to Brno in the Czech Republic, follow EV4 back to Netherlands, Hook of Holland and home. This bit of the EV4 I can't find any maps for - does anyone know if they exist, or should we just follow our noses (or whatever we pick up along the way)? GPS routes we don't want, as I prefer maps, and we don't use/have much electricity.
Another vote for the Elbe Radweg to take you north to Hamburg, or break off around Berlin and head west towards NL.
I liked the "follow my nose" policy for touring, it never let me down:biggrin:.

P.S. I agree with Brains who types faster than I:smile:.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
Another vote for the Elbe Radweg to take you north to Hamburg, or break off around Berlin and head west towards NL.
I liked the "follow my nose" policy for touring, it never let me down:biggrin:.

P.S. I agree with Brains who types faster than I:smile:.

The section of the Elbe between the Cz border and Meissen would be one of the many highlights of your trip.
(Through 'little switzerland')
I'd be inclined to follow the Elbe all the way to Hamburg, it's about 60 miles further than the 'straight line' but a lot flatter and therefore faster (and better long distance cycling infrastructure)

Here is your route for you
Two and a half thousand miles
Ideally you would need a couple of months, but I can see with a bit of trimming you could cut a couple of weeks off that (Dijon to Constance by train, Vienna to Prague by train etc)

upload_2019-4-24_15-12-59.png

OP
OP
RobinS

RobinS

Veteran
Our final departure date is now set as 3rd May, overnight ferry from Portsmouth to St Malo. Initial route plan is pretty much as Brains posted above, with the exception that after Hamburg we plan to carry on to Cuxhaven, then follow the North Sea route along the German and Netherlands coasts to get back to Hook of Holland. Adds a couple of hundred miles to the overall trip, but as we expect to take 3 months (with an extra couple of weeks available if needed) that should not be a problem. Also when to the Czech Republic we hope to pick up the Vienna to Prague greenway.
Probably won't post as we go along, but hope to do a full trip report in the Travelogue section after we get back (along the lines of my European Tour 2017 report).

Top Bottom