1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maps showing the classic TDF climbs??

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Fab Foodie, 30 Jul 2007.

1. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Anyone know of a map which shows the major TDF climbs in the Alps and Pyranees?

Staying in Perpignan area with family this summer...planning to do Ventoux (3 hour drive away), but have no idea where the other classic climbs are?

Anyone know?
    Any maps available showing them?
    What's nearby?

Cheers, FF->.

2. skwerl

skwerl New Member

Croix de Fer
    Alpe d'Huez
    D'Aubisque
    Mente
    Aravis
    Colombiere
    Telegraph
    Galibier

3. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

Many of the above mentioned climbs are in the Alps and even further away from Perpignan than Ventoux.

There is a good website called 'Virtual Alps' which for years has been an excellent source of information on alpine passes. Less well known is that it has a sister site called 'Virtual Pyrenees' which will list many of the climbs much closer to where you are going. (The full list is down the left hand edge of the homepage') Both are done by a couple of experienced cyclotouristes and audaxers.

It's not quite as comprehensive as the alpine version, but with a map you will be able to find lots fairly close to you. Most have been used on the tour at some time so plot them out and take your pick.

http://www.aukadia.net/pyr/index.htm

4. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

I think I'd be looking for maps taking me away from the ascents! :rolleyes:

5. Foghat

Foghat Veteran

These maps are best for your back pocket when on the road:

IGN 1:100,000

Now available laminated from Aqua3......can't go wrong.

6. asterix

asterix Comrade Member

In June we did the Raid Pyrenean using only the pages from the Michelin Road Atlas, 1:200,000 or 1cm=2km. The maps were easily detailed enough

I'd recommend the Col/Port de Pailheres (2001m) p.183, F2 which was a TdF col this year. the Col d'Aspin P176, C3 and of course the Col du Tourmalet (2115m) p 176, B3.

The best way to see the Pyrenean cols is to do the Raid Pyrenean. There is a 10 day and a 4 day version but you get fewer cols with the 4 day one!