Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Has anybody who uses them had a puncture? I have pulled all sorts out of mine, glass, thorns, a tack and they are still fine. I am tempted not to take any tubes or a repair kit on my trip to the coast next week.;)

hubgearfreak

Über Member
MarkF said:
I am tempt

ing fatexx(

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'm tempted to get them for my forthcoming trip but heard they were heavy. Are they noticeably heavier than other tyres? I have Specialized Armadillos...no idea how heavy they are.

jags

Guru
i also use them ,they have great puncture protection and yes they are heavy ,but there a great tyre ,im also on a thorn cathryn im useing 600x1.35 they roll along quiet nice, best of luck with your tour hope you have a good one..

xilios

Veteran
MarkF said:
Has anybody who uses them had a puncture? I have pulled all sorts out of mine, glass, thorns, a tack and they are still fine. I am tempted not to take any tubes or a repair kit on my trip to the coast next week.;)

I've replaced mine (last year) after about 15000kms without a puncture. I still carry a spare inner tube and repair kit, you never know on the road, an unexpected pothole, a twisted wire that punctures your sidewall......

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
xilios said:
I've replaced mine (last year) after about 15000kms without a puncture.

;) Wow, I am only going 250 miles! I ride a hybrid so extra weight is not really an issue for me, even so, their amazing durability is surely worth it?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
jags said:
i also use them ,they have great puncture protection and yes they are heavy ,but there a great tyre ,im also on a thorn cathryn im useing 600x1.35 they roll along quiet nice, best of luck with your tour hope you have a good one..

Thanks!!! Yay for a fellow Thorn owner!

I have these on both Bromptons, the Street machine and the Catrike - I was let down once, but after spending 40 minutes looking for the p*nct*re I found a small split in the tube near the valve - so nothing to do with the tyres (still 100% record)

They are a little slower, but not greatly. My personal view is that if I lose 15 minutes a week and don't spend 15 minutes repairing a p*nct*re then it is a gain overall.

Both the thorns have Marathon XRs, but these will be changed for MP+ when they start to wear.

redfox

xilios said:
I've replaced mine (last year) after about 15000kms without a puncture. I still carry a spare inner tube and repair kit, you never know on the road, an unexpected pothole, a twisted wire that punctures your sidewall......

Same here similar mileage (kilometerage?) over all sorts of terrain on the same set without a puncture! However, they are heavy and I have taken to using lighter tyres when not touring.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Cunobelin said:
They are a little slower, but not greatly. My personal view is that if I lose 15 minutes a week and don't spend 15 minutes repairing a p*nct*re then it is a gain overall.

Totally agree. Its a small price to pay and lets face it if they are being used mainly for a commute then keeping the puncture fairy away is the number 1 reason to use them.

2000 miles on mine so far and only a few weeks ago I removed a large piece of metal wire which had embedded itself in the tyre whilst not puncturing the tube. They get a big ;) from me.

I would add that I always carry at least 1 spare tube as well just in case :biggrin:

Deefex

I have Specialized Armadillos (700 x 38) on my tourer and they've been fine for the most part although they have been punctured on occasion with things like small bits of metal wire and a big rusty nail.

I'm interested in the Marathon Plus tyres but have heard that they're a complete swine to put on/take off.

Can anyone confirm?

I've had two punctures in my marathon pluses! However, that is good considering where I cycle commute (lots and lots of glass!). Both times it was a large shard of glass puncturing the side wall. Not much you can do about that!

I have had tacks in my tyre and no puncture, so they do work well. I'm a commuter though and not a tourer, so weight might be an issue.

Top Bottom