1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marathon Plus

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by MarkF, 15 Apr 2008.

1. MarkF

MarkF Guru

Has anybody who uses them had a puncture? I have pulled all sorts out of mine, glass, thorns, a tack and they are still fine. I am tempted not to take any tubes or a repair kit on my trip to the coast next week.;)

2. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

ing fatexx(

3. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

I'm tempted to get them for my forthcoming trip but heard they were heavy. Are they noticeably heavier than other tyres? I have Specialized Armadillos...no idea how heavy they are.

4. rikgrimsby

rikgrimsby New Member

i use them and they are fine.

5. jags

jags Über Member

i also use them ,they have great puncture protection and yes they are heavy ,but there a great tyre ,im also on a thorn cathryn im useing 600x1.35 they roll along quiet nice, best of luck with your tour hope you have a good one..

6. xilios

xilios Über Member

I've replaced mine (last year) after about 15000kms without a puncture. I still carry a spare inner tube and repair kit, you never know on the road, an unexpected pothole, a twisted wire that punctures your sidewall......

7. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Na, get GatorSkins they are lighter and (according all the forums I've read) they corner better...

8. MarkF

MarkF Guru

;) Wow, I am only going 250 miles! I ride a hybrid so extra weight is not really an issue for me, even so, their amazing durability is surely worth it?

9. Cathryn

Cathryn California Correspondant

Thanks!!! Yay for a fellow Thorn owner!

10. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

I have these on both Bromptons, the Street machine and the Catrike - I was let down once, but after spending 40 minutes looking for the p*nct*re I found a small split in the tube near the valve - so nothing to do with the tyres (still 100% record)

They are a little slower, but not greatly. My personal view is that if I lose 15 minutes a week and don't spend 15 minutes repairing a p*nct*re then it is a gain overall.

Both the thorns have Marathon XRs, but these will be changed for MP+ when they start to wear.

11. redfox

redfox New Member

Same here similar mileage (kilometerage?) over all sorts of terrain on the same set without a puncture! However, they are heavy and I have taken to using lighter tyres when not touring.

12. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Totally agree. Its a small price to pay and lets face it if they are being used mainly for a commute then keeping the puncture fairy away is the number 1 reason to use them.

2000 miles on mine so far and only a few weeks ago I removed a large piece of metal wire which had embedded itself in the tyre whilst not puncturing the tube. They get a big ;) from me.

I would add that I always carry at least 1 spare tube as well just in case :biggrin:

13. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I have them...so far so good, except they are a pain in the neck to fit

14. Deefex

Deefex Well-Known Member

I have Specialized Armadillos (700 x 38) on my tourer and they've been fine for the most part although they have been punctured on occasion with things like small bits of metal wire and a big rusty nail.

I'm interested in the Marathon Plus tyres but have heard that they're a complete swine to put on/take off.

Can anyone confirm?

15. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I've had two punctures in my marathon pluses! However, that is good considering where I cycle commute (lots and lots of glass!). Both times it was a large shard of glass puncturing the side wall. Not much you can do about that!

I have had tacks in my tyre and no puncture, so they do work well. I'm a commuter though and not a tourer, so weight might be an issue.