Marathon Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

They are difficult to fit, but not impossible. I used some lube on the rim to ease the tyre over but I needed a metal knife to do it with..plastic tyre lever just snap or bend...they are hopeless.

I had normal marathons on before 700x32, these are marathon plus at 700x28 and they are lighter not heavier.

My main concern now is not the punctures, but possible tube failure and the subsequent nightmare of re fitting these tyres on a raodside in the rain or something.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
My main concern now is not the punctures, but possible tube failure and the subsequent nightmare of re fitting these tyres on a raodside in the rain or something.

Aarrghh:angry: "Posssible" tube failure hadn't crossed my mind:smile: Didn't know the MR's were a bugger to fit either:sad:

Linda

Yep, have had these on my bike for 4000 miles now without a single p. I commute, tour (fully laden) and shop on this bike. I'm starting to worry now though, because if the tyres failed there would be no hope of getting them off. They're heavier than the Continental touring tyres that came with the bike.

Brock

I've had one puncture after more than a year ( two winters ) of commuting on Marathon Plus tyres and that was a particularly nasty inch long splinter of steel, didn't notice the flat until the morning though, I've never deflated on the road. I regularly roll over broken glass etc. If you don't want punctures, they're superb. You will lose a little speed, but gain a little comfort as a bonus. I never carry a spare tube on the commute, just a patch kit. They are quite a struggle to get on the rims, but nothing a bit of gritted teeth determination can't overcome.

I wouldn't fit gatorskins unless I was staying on nice clean roads, faster yes, but I was getting weekly punctures with those. :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Without wishing to be sexist it can be a big issue for women. My wife finds it almost impossible to get certain tyres on and off without my help. Her thumbs are just not strong enough.

byegad

Legendary Member
Marathon Pluses are (in)famous for the tight fit. I ran them for commuting for about 18 months and had 3 or 4 punctures in that time. it's a couple of years ago now so am sure of 3 may have been 4! They always went in the wet and dark! I fitted Panaracer Pasela Tourguards after that and had no punctures and the bike felt a LOT faster.
I know carry Seal and Flate, a CO2 inflator and a pump, just in case.

Tony

Bastards to get on and off, but used them across Western Australia, and last week around the "roads" of Malta. Not a single faery visit.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Did the trip without any problems, TBH I can't tell the difference in weight between the MP's and my last tyres, whatever they were.:biggrin: Maybe they are perfect for Hybrid riders like me.

Coppell

Best tyres I have ever used.
Support my girth and and a fully loaded cycle without any issues whatsoever.The puncture protection is awesome.You simply cannot go wrong with these tyres.

Lone Rider

I once gave up cycling because of repeated p****. I started again a few years ago and got pretty fast at fixing p****. Then I read about Marathon + and fitted them last year - No more p**** since then! They are heavier, and I noticed it at the beginning, but now I go cycling without spending time at the side of the road, or trail. Last weekend I did 55 miles on trails with a group of mountainbikers and kept up with them most of the time, and M+ are not MTB tyres, but they are strong.

Top Bottom