Marathon Running - How much will it hurt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Posting as part of Admin’s ‘Dare To Be Different Day’!

I have not been out on the bike this year (apart from one 10 miler a few weeks ago, just to make sure the bike still worked) because I have been training for my first marathon (Belfast Marathon).

The race is on Monday 5 May (i.e. 8 days from today) and I am not ready. I have had loads of niggly injuries throughout the training period which have prevented me from training properly for weeks at a time. I have been able to maintain my cardio training in the gym but I have not managed to run more than 15 miles yet (at 10 minute mile pace).

I started out with the hope of completing the race under 4 hours, then moved my goal to under 5 hours. Now, I would be happy to complete before the course is closed (after 9 hours). I am prepared to walk the last 10 miles to the finish, if necessary.

Now, the question – how much pain will I be in during and after the race. I realise I will not be able to train for a week or two, but will I be able to stand or to walk?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Take plenty of food upstairs with you when you go to bed Monday night after the race. Then you won't have to come back down stairs until your legs are better.

Probably about the following Thursday if mine were anything to go by.

domtyler

Über Member
If you're injured then don't run the marathon. Do you really want to put yourself out of action for twelve months or even permanently? It's just not worth it for one race. Just admit to yourself that you haven't got the right kind of body for long distance running, let's face it, very few of us have, and get on with the rest of your life. Starting with going for a nice fifty miler on your bike.

OP
OP
dmoan

dmoan

Guru
domtyler said:
If you're injured then don't run the marathon. Do you really want to put yourself out of action for twelve months or even permanently? It's just not worth it for one race. Just admit to yourself that you haven't got the right kind of body for long distance running, let's face it, very few of us have, and get on with the rest of your life. Starting with going for a nice fifty miler on your bike.

I sort of agree with everything you are saying. I am hugely disappointed that I could not train properly - especially so since, at the end of February, I ran 2 half-marathons within a week and was comfortably on pace.

That said, I am not actually injured now - I just have not trained to the standard recomended in all the training schedules, due to injuries during training.

I am sorely tempted by the thought of a fifty mile bike ride!

mr Mag00

rising member
dont do it, how old if u dont mind me asking?

OP
OP
dmoan

dmoan

Guru
domtyler said:
Do you really want to put yourself out of action for twelve months or even permanently? It's just not worth it for one race

OK Dom - I've been thinking about this for a few hours now and you have got me worried.

I am now concerned that the 'niggles' I feel (and have felt) after the last couple of weeks could blow up into something much more sinister. Muscles which I hurt (and which I thought had healed) over the past 6 months. What sort of long-term damage do you think I could do to myself?

mr Mag00

rising member
no dont go in to it unless perfectly happy, the fact you have doubts will only prey on you the while time you are doing it. It is a very large undertaking. you could do lasting damage at that age to muscles and joints. book next years and give yourslef another year, it wont make that much difference to you.

Blue

Legendary Member
I have run about a dozen marathons - several under 2hrs 40min. At this stage you will be getting the jitters and this will magnify any problems. Only you know what your problems have been but, take it from me, a marathon will find every problem in both mind and body and worsen it. If you have genuine injuries take heed of what you have already been told in this thread.

If you do decide to run, the post race muscle soreness will be assisted by sitting in a waist deep cold bath for 20-30mins before you have your post race hot shower and then walking around as much as possible rather than slumping into a chair. This helps the circulation in your legs.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Alcdrew

And you should be able to do that 50 mile bike ride straight after the marathon, as it's completely different muscle groups used (but don't quote me on that, as I know someone will come along and tell you otherwise, I'm just going on past experience, where I ran a bit and my legs hurt so bad walking was painful but riding was fine)

Top Bottom