Marathon Running - How much will it hurt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

domtyler

Über Member
dmoan said:
OK Dom - I've been thinking about this for a few hours now and you have got me worried.

I am now concerned that the 'niggles' I feel (and have felt) after the last couple of weeks could blow up into something much more sinister. Muscles which I hurt (and which I thought had healed) over the past 6 months. What sort of long-term damage do you think I could do to myself?

Just google for running/sports injuries, give yourself a few months to trawl through the material out there though! Any running forum will be all about injuries, a topic which is strangely absent from the cycling ones.

What injuries you get will be particular to you, your body and your running style.

I just know that I got myself so badly injured that I couldn't walk without pain for over a year. To be fair I read up on running techniques and can now run without fear of injury, but that takes time to master.

Blue

Legendary Member
Alcdrew said:
And you should be able to do that 50 mile bike ride straight after the marathon, as it's completely different muscle groups used (but don't quote me on that, as I know someone will come along and tell you otherwise, I'm just going on past experience, where I ran a bit and my legs hurt so bad walking was painful but riding was fine)

It is true that running and cycling use different muscle groups. Running after cycling takes a while to get used to (I've done a couple of Tri's). I haven't ever cycled after running so can't comment on that. Swimming after a run is good. Indeed, the race the OP is talking about used to end at the Maysfield swimming baths and I used to do 20 lgths immediately after the finish of the race. I think the course has changed since I last ran it in the early 90's.

If you're not ready now, you won't be ready next Monday! ;)
But, if you have managed a couple of half marathons, then at least you have the miles in your legs!
You don't have to run the entire 26+ miles, although I'm sure you're capable of it. There's no shame in walking every now and then.
Just pace yourself and don't go off too quickly at the beginning.
Try some fartlek training this week (although it's a bit late, really) to boost stamina.
Good luck. And STRETCH after training/the event.

OP
OP
dmoan

dmoan

Guru
Thanks to all who replied - you really have helped me to come to a decision which has been tormenting me for a few weeks now.

I have decided that I am not ready this time round and that I do not have to hurt myself out of stubborness or to prove a point to myself. The Belfast Marathon organisers allow entrants to have their entry 'held over' to the next year, so I will take advantage of this and try again next year.

BTW Blue - the marathon starts at Belfast City Hall and ends in Ormeau Park now - Maysfield Leisure Centre closed years ago! If you are interested, follow this link to the route.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I hate to be grown up but think that's a really wise decision. The marathon will still be there to be run next year. Don't much up all of 2008!

Well done. Go and have a pint to make up for it.

Tynan

Veteran
I like my knees and ankles too much to ever do anything like a marathon, I tested them too much playing football for a long time

cycling is superb exercise for me at my age, running? nah

think you've done the right thing

The Jogger

Legendary Member
dmoan, you made the right decision, IMHO. I just withdrew last week from the Edinburgh marathon (May 25) because of injury, it was to be my first, I turned 50 in March and instead of thinking 'I'm getting old' I decided to run my first marathon. I'm now looking at Berlin, which is said to be the flatest marathon. It's late Sept. Maybe you should look at that one.

Top Bottom