March 29th Group Riding Restarts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
British Cycling have sanctioned groups up to 15 on a ride from March 29th.

Time to roll. I'm so pleased about this.

I think I’ll wait until I’ve had both my jabs.

I can’t think of a more sure fire way to breathe in what someone else is breathing out than to cycle behind them.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Given the turbulence of air into which the cyclist in front's breath is mixing, any viral load (from an asymptomatic rider, don't forget) in your 'in-breath' will be negligible. BC imply keeping a metre between wheels or a 'wide' two abreast.
"Riders will be required to maintain a ‘one metre plus’ distance from others, and follow other relevant guidance on hygiene, self-sufficiency and equipment sharing.
"While we know that group riding presents a very low risk of transmission (due to it taking place outdoors, with very limited face-to-face contact), we must remain mindful of the wider public’s understandable concerns around Covid-19 . . "
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...ews-British-Cycling-update--The-Way-Forward-0

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Quite. I would have thought the very definition of riding in somebody's slipstream is breathing in the air they breathe out.
.... massively diluted by lots of fresh air, such that the chances of getting sufficient viral load for transmission is negligible ...

I'm not a member of any club, so n/a to me. I'm starting to see a lot more groups of well more than 2 at the moment whilst out.

Emails re sportives are popping into my inbox. There is a local charity one in April I may well do, provided the start and finish is well segregated. If they want to line us up in a pen to "brief us" then we'll be heading out of the other gate to join the route.

D

Deleted member 26715

From what ive seen a lotmof BC members have jumped the gun on that by months.
Yep I was out with my grandson week last Saturday & saw 3 groups of 10+ riders

Edit:- Although I have no idea if they were BC members, but at least 2 of the groups were in club colours

PK99

Legendary Member
From what ive seen a lotmof BC members have jumped the gun on that by months.

Last Saturday, while on a ride with MrsPK, we clocked many groups of cyclists 3/4/5 to 15 in number, and outside one cafe a large group >15 craiking happily with zero social distancing - looked very much like pre-ride club meet up - certainly very nice bikes and expensive clothing, but no club kit!

mattobrien

Guru
When there's a rule of six in place I don't think the optics of groups of 15 cyclists riding about the place is favourable. Joe Public isn't going to understand that British Cycling affiliated clubs, with leaders etc are able to have up to 15 in a ride and in all honesty it's hard to see why the risk is different for a BC affiliated club ride of 15 people and a group of 15 mates meeting up for a ride.

This feels like BC possibly stretching the definition of organised sport and I can't see that it will enamour cyclists to the friendly motorists and members of the public.

D

Deleted member 26715

When there's a rule of six in place I don't think the optics of groups of 15 cyclists riding about the place is favourable. Joe Public isn't going to understand that British Cycling affiliated clubs, with leaders etc are able to have up to 15 in a ride and in all honesty it's hard to see why the risk is different for a BC affiliated club ride of 15 people and a group of 15 mates meeting up for a ride.

This feels like BC possibly stretching the definition of organised sport and I can't see that it will enamour cyclists to the friendly motorists and members of the public.
Or 22 blokes running up & down a field kicking a gasbag?

Top Bottom