March 29th Group Riding Restarts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
EDIT: Ooops - beaten to it here: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/march-29th-group-riding-restarts.272907

From March 29
British Cycling-affiliated Club rides or recreation programme rides for up to 15 participants (or limited to relevant leader/rider ratios), on highways, trails and tracks.
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/a...ews-British-Cycling-update--The-Way-Forward-0

15 seems a lot! Will make club-runs interesting, as we may have to divide into 3 sub-groups at the caff stop :P

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I believe the wording that allows this from the government is.

"Organised outdoor sports for both adults and children will also be able to resume with any numbers, where this takes place under NGB guidance."

NGB guidance should cover Covid protocols. For example as a Scout organisation we will be able to have 15 children, but it is not a free for all, we need to follow Covid protocols (distancing, cleaning, hand gels etc).

No; it's riding in their slipstream. They could have a fully enclosed (deep-sea style) breathing kit, but would still have a "slipstream".

Person on a bike is not plumbed like a car with an exhaust pipe out the back.

Yes agreed, "definition of" was loose wording. Nevertheless, it seems to me that if you are 2m behind somebody in their slipstream, the concentration of their exhalations will surely be higher than if you are 2m apart from them and not in their slipstream.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I believe the wording that allows this from the government is.

"Organised outdoor sports for both adults and children will also be able to resume with any numbers, where this takes place under NGB guidance."
I guess NGB is National Government Body, so this enables only BC and not CUK or any other?

So this hinges on what I believe is a fiction that all affiliated groups are obeying the BC guidance running only no-drop rides that comply with the Highway Code on risk-assessed routes, quite besides any covid-related guidance (which is not yet available: "details will be confirmed within the revised The Way Forward documents"). Some affiliated group rides may comply with the handbook in full, but I think not many. A silver lining is I suspect it's quite rare that any outbreak will be traced back to even a large group ride because they're outdoors and not face-to-face... a nobber road-raging against a cycling group is far more likely.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I guess NGB is National Government Body, so this enables only BC and not CUK or any other?

So this hinges on what I believe is a fiction that all affiliated groups are obeying the BC guidance running only no-drop rides that comply with the Highway Code on risk-assessed routes, quite besides any covid-related guidance (which is not yet available: "details will be confirmed within the revised The Way Forward documents"). Some affiliated group rides may comply with the handbook in full, but I think not many. A silver lining is I suspect it's quite rare that any outbreak will be traced back to even a large group ride because they're outdoors and not face-to-face... a nobber road-raging against a cycling group is far more likely.
Fully agree, the rules / guidance do not necessarily make sense or even exist, but we are where we are and we scream when we don't have rules at all.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
National GOVERNING Body I think? (not sure if CUK qualifies as one - I know AUK are trying for this status)
BC has directors appointed by the gov.uk "executive non-departmental public body" currently named Sport England. I think CUK and AUK would need to have similar to qualify as National Governing Bodies. CUK's charitable status may prevent that. I don't know about AUK.

(Edited to rephrase)

Last edited:
Top Bottom