Marin pine mountain bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Looks like it would be great fun! I really like my rigid MTB (also a Marin, though quite a few years older!) and would love to try out some of new the fatter tyre sizes.

Someone give me a reason not to buy this bike........................PLEASE:headshake:

Where am I with it? Well, I still have definite reservations about the sloping top tube, but everything seems to be that way now, and surely in my size it wouldn't look as small as I'm thinking it would, would it??????

Marin quote frame sizes covering upto 6'4", but I'm 6'5", is the inch really going to matter?

Am I going to regret it 'only' be 10 speed?

I just don't know. I'm seriously thinking about ordering it and if need be I can always return it anyway. I know it's a faff but there's no dealer on my doorstep, and the ones I could get to don't stock the 22" frame, so I've no way to see the bike up front other than biting the bullet and ordering one.

@User19783, have you made a decision yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User19783

Someone give me a reason not to buy this bike........................PLEASE:headshake:

Where am I with it? Well, I still have definite reservations about the sloping top tube, but everything seems to be that way now, and surely in my size it wouldn't look as small as I'm thinking it would, would it??????

Marin quote frame sizes covering upto 6'4", but I'm 6'5", is the inch really going to matter?

Am I going to regret it 'only' be 10 speed?

I just don't know. I'm seriously thinking about ordering it and if need be I can always return it anyway. I know it's a faff but there's no dealer on my doorstep, and the ones I could get to don't stock the 22" frame, so I've no way to see the bike up front other than biting the bullet and ordering one.

@User19783, have to made a decision yet?

Not yet, I shall see what happens to the one on eBay,

Like you I am not sure what size frame 15"or17"
I am only 5'9"with little legs.
As for the 1x10 set up, it looks cool, and relax, guess you get use to it.

Before I saw this bike, I have been looking st single speed cross bikes, like the Genesis day 1, but thus Marin has got me all :wacko::hyper:, if you know what I mean.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I run 1x8 (32t chainring with a 11-34t cassette) on one of my MTBs and really like it. While I love the look of the old-school triple cranksets I think I would go for another 1x set-up on my other MTB if the crankset needed replacing. When I can't get up a hill it's not the bottom gear (32/34 on 26" wheels) that's the problems, it's invariably my legs. You do run out of top gear going downhill on the road, but how often are you going to be doing that for more than a few minutes a ride on that sort of bike?

Know what you mean about the sloping top tube but you're stuck with that unless you go early 90s I think! As for frame size, I personally find a slightly smaller frame a bit more playful out on the trails. A 1" difference I wouldn't worry about too much, though it's probably worth thinking about trying a couple of different length/rise stems if it doesn't feel good right out of the box.

If I didn't already own a rigid MTB that I really liked I'd also be seriously tempted.

Not yet, I shall see what happens to the one on eBay
Yeah I looked at that one but it's too small for me, story of my life when trying to save a few ££'s :cry:

Like you I am not sure what size frame 15"or17"
I'm not unsure about that, at my height I know I'd need the 22", but it's just the feeling that the compact geometry will make it look too small under me, but perhaps I'm worrying about nothing :wacko:

I've just spoke to a lovely fella at Rutland who reckons the 22" would be fine height wise, but I might need to stick a slightly longer stem on, which makes sense but I wouldn't know until I gave it a whirl.

They operate a 90 day test ride option, but only when you pay full R.R.P. :sad: That said he did tell me that as long as you use commonsense there'd be no issue in riding around the block in good weather, then if I'm still not happy I can still return it under the 30 day policy.

It's looking more and more likely that a bullet is going to get bitten very soon :hyper:

vickster

Legendary Member
You are not helping, I am trying to be good.
:angel:
Actually, better still...3.03% from topcashback
https://www.topcashback.co.uk/rutland-cycling/

@User19783, I've just received this email from Rutland, can't imagine why? :whistle:
Rutland.png

Ordered via Topcash back too, thanks @vickster :okay:

OP
OP
U

User19783

It makes sense to buy new, I am guessing the eBay one will go for £380, too much for a second hand year old bike.

Top Bottom