Mark Beaumont - Around The World In 80 Days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
He has 11 people supporting him and one camper van - where do they all sleep?
tents ...possibly.

He has 11 people supporting him and one camper van - where do they all sleep?

tents ...possibly.
This is how i would do it.
0a61daed360a16409576f28cde5c3d22.jpg

His tracker is a bit crap. it doesn't refresh on my browser nor show his route, just draws some point to point lines. I'm rather spoilt by the IPWR one now.
Is it my imagination or has it improved? There is now a link at the bottom right of the tracker map to show a more detailed map and indeed it does, with a point every fifteen minutes. I don't recall that being there when I looked before. Anyway, it's good enough to show which roads he's been on at least, if not where he's going. Clearly, where he is now, it's rather easy to predict fairly accurately where he'll be going next for at least a couple of days. The points are clickable too. The main/summary tracker just shows a small subset of those fifteen minute interval points.
Detailed track map for Wednesday 12th.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I messaged them three times to see if he was really going to to do a Round Britain ride and go through Hornsea and Withernsea on the East coast of Yorkshire. I didnt get a reply. He didnt. He cut the corner off like most Round Britain riders. So I could have guessed all I wanted. He still did it in 14 days. Well, the parts he rode anyway.

It would be so much better if they publish the route that he intends to ride. I am a fan of Marks. I have got the signed books and signed jersey. If you e mail either Mark or his mum replies promptly. But things seem to have shifted with the team he has now. Not to get a reply after sending three messages is something I would not expect from Marks team.

tatr

Maybe the amount of publicity has increased the amount of email they have to deal with? Not to mention tome raising funds for a support car - that's a lot of money and therefore time.

tatr

You know you've set a serious cycling target when ex-pro riders say "that sounds hard".

Ajax Bay

Guru
I guess this is always a risk if you drive along a long, clear major road at 20mph. Better the careless/dangerous shunter ran into a following vehicle than the cyclist himself. But would have this driver hit a lone cyclist riding on the hard shoulder? Who knows? RIP Mike Hall.

jay clock

Massive member
I have just been reading about the whole thing and am seriously impressed. He has done it solo the hard way so he has nothing to prove, but this is very different and hope he makes it safely and on time

The flight's at 1410 local time - so 1810 UK time - to Newark and onwards to Lisbon. I'm sure it'll be a relief to get the last flight done, those being the bits which are out of the control of him and the team. It must have been good to arrive at the airport with quite a few hours to spare on this flight too.

Top Bottom