Mark Beaumont Cycling the Americas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris__P

Just heard on the radio that Mr Beaumont is on another trip, riding the length of the Americas this time. Whatever you think of him, should be an interesting documentary.

Had a look at his blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/2010/01/video-diary-aconcagua-1.shtml

One thing I was surprised by on here was the pics showing him dressed all in black, with black panniers. I'm sat here searching the internet for hi-viz clothing for my own tour and trying to work out ways to make me more visible - personally I wouldn't feel at all safe in Mark's all-black. Oh, and no helmet

Crankarm

Guru
chris__P said:
Just heard on the radio that Mr Beaumont is on another trip, riding the length of the Americas this time. Whatever you think of him, should be an interesting documentary.

Had a look at his blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/cyclingtheamericas/2010/01/video-diary-aconcagua-1.shtml

One thing I was surprised by on here was the pics showing him dressed all in black, with black panniers. I'm sat here searching the internet for hi-viz clothing for my own tour and trying to work out ways to make me more visible - personally I wouldn't feel at all safe in Mark's all-black. Oh, and no helmet

:sad::rolleyes::tongue:

He's going to be riding so fast no one will see him ;).

Garz

Squat Member
Just heard?

He started that off many months ago, so long in fact i'm surprised he's not finished yet! B)

jags

Guru
was there some kind of issue about his reckord breaking world tour.
i think he's a nice lad and a great cyclist myself.

rualexander

Legendary Member
He is currently climbing Aconcagua. He was interviewed on Radio Scotland's Fred MacAulay show this week. So has a couple of thousand miles of cycling still to go.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
And to think, he circumnavigated the globe sans helmet...

chris__P said:

hubbike

I wonder whether I will cross paths with him I´m heading up that way just now....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
There's very few people let alone cyclists who do the Darien Gap!!

from Wiki

The Darién Gap is a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest separating Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America). It measures just over 160 km (99 mi) long and about 50 km (31 mi) wide. It is not possible to cross between South America and Central America by land without passing through the Darién Gap. Roadbuilding through this area is expensive, and the environmental toll is steep. Political consensus in favor of road construction has not emerged. There is no road connection through the Darién Gap connecting North/Central America with South America. It is therefore the missing link of the Pan-American Highway.

OP
OP
C

chris__P

rich p said:

Yeah its true, but that doesn't mean he had to miss out the whole of Colombia. You'd expect more of a self-appointed 'adventurer and presenter.' Helen Skelton - now theres an adventurer and presenter (Blue Peter presenter trying to be first woman to kayak the amazon) (i'm a little bit in love)

Oh and Karl Bushby - he walked the Darien Gap, he's an adventurer.

By the way Rich, I finished my CGOAB from Holland http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=136568&v=2Q if you're interested. What route did you decide on in the end?

stewie griffin

Über Member
rich p said:

from Wiki

The Darién Gap is a large swath of undeveloped swampland and forest separating Panama (Central America) and Colombia (South America). It measures just over 160 km (99 mi) long and about 50 km (31 mi) wide. It is not possible to cross between South America and Central America by land without passing through the Darién Gap. Roadbuilding through this area is expensive, and the environmental toll is steep. Political consensus in favor of road construction has not emerged. There is no road connection through the Darién Gap connecting North/Central America with South America. It is therefore the missing link of the Pan-American Highway.

http://vodpod.com/watch/1058365-the-late-ian-hibell-crossing-the-darien-gap-by-bicycle
Though "by bicycle" is pushing it a bit, more like "miserably carrying bicycles". Read the Darien Gap section in his book "into the remote places" to get an impression of the discomfort endured.

Top Bottom