Mark Cavendish injured at Ghent Six Day yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's something that's worth repeating in the 'odd factoids' thread!
In case you don't believe me...

:okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Beaten to it! :okay:

yello

In case you don't believe me...

Oh, I knew it to be true (well, unless what I'd read was false!) And despite the derailing posts on the 'odd factoids' thread, I think that thread works best with the genuiinely surprising - almost counter intuitive - little nuggets of truth.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have a lot of respect for Cav and wish him well and a fast recovery but I fear he will never be the Cavendish of years gone by. There are too many young lions out there and his age is against him now.
Froome is another example. After his accident , he never recovered his form fully despite hard training and perseverance.
You can't fight advancing time , no matter who you are.
Past champions like Anquetil, Mercks, Hinault acknowledged that at the right time.
I think Cav will carry on racing because of his love for cycling and honouring his contract but don't expect miracles.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having watched the video he was an innocent bystander of the panicking rider in blue, who caused the crash.

One of the key things on the track is to not move without looking; they swung high for no apparent reason, except that the rider ahead got onto the azure and had a slide on the damp patch.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Recent interview here.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/nov/21/mark-cavendish-i-knew-i-could-be-top-again

I liked this bit: “It’s the freedom,” he explains. “You’re not confined by an arena. You don’t have to go to a training venue. There’s no tee-time. You can leave your front door at what time you want and go for as long as you want, the speed you want, the distance you want. You can go out with someone or go out on your own. The world’s your oyster. That feeling is why I started it. And I still get that feeling.”

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a lot of respect for Cav and wish him well and a fast recovery but I fear he will never be the Cavendish of years gone by. There are too many young lions out there and his age is against him now.
Froome is another example. After his accident , he never recovered his form fully despite hard training and perseverance.
You can't fight advancing time , no matter who you are.
Past champions like Anquetil, Mercks, Hinault acknowledged that at the right time.
I think Cav will carry on racing because of his love for cycling and honouring his contract but don't expect miracles.
breaking a couple of ribs or a collarbone, even an arm is pretty easy to recover from in cycling, breaking a Femur (largest bone in the body) not so easy. The way they 'fix' one is pretty extreme and involves drilling out the inside of the bone and hammering an intramedullary 'nail' which is then fixed in place with 2 or 3 big bolts.

View: https://youtu.be/RfiFAQLxB7I

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
breaking a couple of ribs or a collarbone, even an arm is pretty easy to recover from in cycling, breaking a Femur (largest bone in the body) not so easy. The way they 'fix' one is pretty extreme and involves drilling out the inside of the bone and hammering an intramedullary 'nail' which is then fixed in place with 2 or 3 big bolts.

Ouch ! That brings back bad memories

I had a similar procedure on my lower leg some years back, which entailed pushing the kneecap to one side, hamming a nail down the bone and fixing at each end with two screws. xx(

I was the first person in Wales to pick up Channel 5 though :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
True. Froome's injury was a probable career-ending injury at any age, one he has done incredibly well to return from.

Cavendish's current injuries are the sort of thing that a top rider could normally be expected to return from relatively easily. But his age does count against him.

bitsandbobs

Über Member

He hasn't got a contract for next season!

I saw Lefevere skulking around in 't kuipke at the last Friday: I guess the crash puts him in a slightly better position now re contract negotiation with Cavendish.

Cathryn

Legendary Member

Ooh they did that to me when I was skiing!!! Not going to watch the video...

Top Bottom