Mark Cavendish - spoiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Sh4rkyBloke said:
He's an arrogant tw*t as far as I can tell - sorry!

Last year he seemd a nice genuine bloke, eager to learn and enjoying his first tour.... this year "I don't have anything to learn" .... no, course you don't Sonny... perhaps a little humility and respect??? :evil::wacko:!

+1

I think he's a horrible little snotrag after what I saw last night.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The humility and respect will come with time, I'm sure - directly after a disappointing stage probably isn't the ideal time to look for it from a 23 year old either!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Sprinters almost have to be arrogant - it comes with the territory. You can be humble if you are the kind of rider who can get away from the rest and get into some Zen-like zone whilst 10 minutes ahead of the chasing field up a ridiculously steep mountain. However, imagining you can win whilst travelling at 50kph testosterone-crazed loons with flying elbows probably needs a different kind of personality and encourages a different kid of attitude.

OP
OP
mondobongo

mondobongo

Über Member
Yes he can come across as a cocky arrogant bugger sometimes but don't forget he is our cocky arrogant little bugger. Sure its not the British way to be so forthright but lets be different for a change its a long time since we had a Brit so good enjoy.

yello

That perm does make him look like a scouser though. :wacko:

Edit: just read the article. The lad is sound and nowhere near the cocky little gobshite I was expecting. He's focused and driven, his language use reflects that. As he gets older he might well become less 'black and white' but at the moment I reckon he's pretty much like any motivated kid of his age; seeing the world in simplistic terms, knows what he wants and how to get it. Credit it to him, it's to be admired.

Cut the kid some slack. After all, he IS unbeatable over 200m!

kennykool

Disgruntled Goat said:
Just needs to get himself near the front of the peleton with 200m to go then!

Thats the job of his Team.....George Hincapie and Co will have no problems getting him in position....just you watch ......the next sprintfinish is Cav's!!!!

And if he doesn't I'm sure he will bitch and whine about it!;)

Anyway, what were Stages 2 and 3 if not built for a sprint finish

Flying_Monkey said:
Sprinters almost have to be arrogant - it comes with the territory. You can be humble if you are the kind of rider who can get away from the rest and get into some Zen-like zone whilst 10 minutes ahead of the chasing field up a ridiculously steep mountain. However, imagining you can win whilst travelling at 50kph testosterone-crazed loons with flying elbows probably needs a different kind of personality and encourages a different kid of attitude.

Thor Hushovd isn't arrogant or cocky and he's one of the best sprinters in the world!

Cavendish should do his appenticeship, and keep his mouth shut! Then when he's good enough (performances, not just potential) his actions will speak louder than his words!

asterix

Comrade Member
His attitude towards the would-be interviewer yesterday was simply unsophisticated and immature. Or to put it another way it wasn't big and it wasn't clever.

Maybe he could blame the crash for what was seemed to be incompetence but he just walked off in a sulk, rudely brushing aside the questions.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I saw the interview and he pretty much lost my vote. There's one thing to say he's the fastest person out there (factual) but another to say 'I'm the hottest property in cycling at the moment'. Personally, I think I'm quite a hot property in cycling at the moment as well! But I don't say it on TV. I can't believe he'd actually say that out loud!!! I wonder if he's cringing when he looks back on the interview.

I do hope he has someone around him to keep him grounded. It must be hard to be young, everyone telling you how amazing you are and to stay grounded and humble and nice. He needs someone sensible around.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
asterix said:
His attitude towards the would-be interviewer yesterday was simply unsophisticated and immature. Or to put it another way it wasn't big and it wasn't clever.

Maybe he could blame the crash for what was seemed to be incompetence but he just walked off in a sulk, rudely brushing aside the questions.

To be fair, the interviewer's questions in some way deserved the answers given. He may be a bit cocky, but faint heart won no fair lady. He's acting a part. Judge him by his results, 'cos thats what matters. Give the lad a bit of slack.

Top Bottom