Market stall holders.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The trick with the fiver reminds my that the punters are just as bad. They buy something costing less than £10 and proffer a £10 note. Give them change and they claim to have given you a £20 note. All our staff working a till were instructed not to put a note in the till until after the transaction was complete and the customer did not argue about change. A surprising number of people tried this trick but the note lying visible on the shelf of the till soon shut them up.

Drago

Legendary Member
And I've been on the opposite end of that, shopkeepers trying thr opposite trick, accepting a 20 and giving change for a ten. I now stare them in the eye and say in a loud voice to avoid all ambiguity, "here's a twenty."

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
A few years ago I went to Budapest, they still use the "huf" in Hungary and at the time you got about 400 huf to the pound. So you get lots of notes with a load of zeroes on them, which makes you feel very wealthy but also brought on a type of number blindness in me.
I handed over a 10000 huf note (£25) on one occasion to buy something and kicked off when I was only given 8000 huf change as I was convinced I'd handed over a 100000 huf note (stupid me, that would have been £250). I eventually realised my mistake and apologised profusely in my best Hungarian. I spent the rest of the holiday thinking people would nudge each other when they saw me and say "there's that eccentric millionaire Englishman who carries 100000 huf notes"!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A few years ago I went to Budapest, they still use the "huf" in Hungary and at the time you got about 400 huf to the pound. So you get lots of notes with a load of zeroes on them, which makes you feel very wealthy but also brought on a type of number blindness in me.
I handed over a 10000 huf note (£25) on one occasion to buy something and kicked off when I was only given 8000 huf change as I was convinced I'd handed over a 100000 huf note (stupid me, that would have been £250). I eventually realised my mistake and apologised profusely in my best Hungarian. I spent the rest of the holiday thinking people would nudge each other when they saw me and say "there's that eccentric millionaire Englishman who carries 100000 huf notes"!

It's harder when you've had quite a few beers.....stag doo weekend...

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Quite right Drago. I do the same to avoid any misunderstanding tho’ I must admit that on the rare occasion I was in the shop I did make a genuine mistake in giving change. I think I also diddled myself also a couple of times but the customer never commented. Most people never check their change anyway.

Top Bottom