Marketing Over Function

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Have a look at this video of Kenilworth ford in flood, from 1m12 to 2m43 there's a 4x4 driving through it.

It's 3 feet deep, which you'd think might be enough to float it, but hey, it's got a snorkel so it's obviously designed for this sort of stuff. Isn't it? Well watch him open the door at the far side and empty all the water out. :rolleyes:

So there's no point in the snorkel then, just a marketing gimmick designed to appeal to the sort who think it looks cool.

If you look carefully, the front drivers side window is down, that’s where the water has got in, personally I think he was going a tad too fast, too big a bow wave, iirc 2nd gear low range, with wading plugs in, a properly fitted snorkel a Disco would play with that sort of wading, as others have said the snorkel is a straight fit onto the air filter inlet so the engine doesn’t draw water in and hydraulic it, it’s also good practice to extend the axle breathers into the snorkel as going into cold water can cause a warm gearbox & axles to shrink ever so slightly, but in doing so can suck water into them, but you also need to be aware that you can’t see any potential booby traps under dirty water, ie raised man hole covers or rocks that could have been dragged across in the flooding, proceed with caution and at your own risk

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you look carefully, the front drivers side window is down, that’s where the water has got in, personally I think he was going a tad too fast, too big a bow wave, iirc 2nd gear low range, with wading plugs in, a properly fitted snorkel a Disco would play with that sort of wading, as others have said the snorkel is a straight fit onto the air filter inlet so the engine doesn’t draw water in and hydraulic it, it’s also good practice to extend the axle breathers into the snorkel as going into cold water can cause a warm gearbox & axles to shrink ever so slightly, but in doing so can suck water into them, but you also need to be aware that you can’t see any potential booby traps under dirty water, ie raised man hole covers or rocks that could have been dragged across in the flooding, proceed with caution and at your own risk

All good advice, except the point about axles/gearboxes shrinking. It's the hot air/oil vapours within that contract when suddenly cooled, thus sucking in water via any submerged breather vents or weak oil seals (oil seals which are oriented to keep oil in, not water out). If you keep the breathers above water level, and not blocked, then the pressure differential between inside and outside is negated so the water isn't pulled in.

Trust me, been there and done that....

Jody

Stubborn git
I haven't seen ford before, but not a fan of the video/editing with the slo mo and music over the top. This channel is much better for watching people get stuck in a ford: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCamiAALTPQs-fU0g9OfaJpQ

This beauty popped on Facebook. Can't find the video to link but think the still images tell a better tale.

The rider even bipped his horn a couple of times on approach to get everyones attention :laugh:

Screenshot_20221021-105721_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221021-105743_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221021-105754_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221021-105759_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20221021-105814_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at this video of Kenilworth ford in flood, from 1m12 to 2m43 there's a 4x4 driving through it.

It's 3 feet deep, which you'd think might be enough to float it, but hey, it's got a snorkel so it's obviously designed for this sort of stuff. Isn't it? Well watch him open the door at the far side and empty all the water out. :rolleyes:

So there's no point in the snorkel then, just a marketing gimmick designed to appeal to the sort who think it looks cool.

Great video. But disappointed that the Tesla didn't give it a go...

but you also need to be aware that you can’t see any potential booby traps under dirty water, ie raised man hole covers or rocks that could have been dragged across in the flooding, proceed with caution and at your own risk
As much as I don't like automatics, this is one thing that they're good at
If the vehicle is stopped, due to an underwater obstrution, it won't stall, causing restart issues

A properly fitted snorkel, works so long as the driver can breath:laugh:
Eg; Camel Trophy (1987, Madagascar)
Note, that the engine is still running, as the exhaust gases are bubbling to the surface
An increased tick-over setting, or hand-throttle helps too!

SB2.-1987-Madagascarccc.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Tbh this is one of the many issues I have with this kind of machinery - shamelessly touted to the shallow and showey by aspirational marketing images of them ploughing through the deserts of North Africa; in reality most of them are shunted around city streets in stop-start traffic to the detriment of absolutely everyone and everything other than the driver :rolleyes:

Should also add, it MUST be a diesel, not a good idea wading with a petrol engine vehicle
It can be done
In the 50s/60s/70s' the British Army had waterproofing manuals/equipment for most of their vehicles
Even the Martian, could be prepared, & that was running a R-R B81, a 6.5 litre(?) petrol
I've seen photographs in military vehicle magazines (pre internet!) of them in wading tests, with water over the bonnet

Land Rovers 101FCs, could be also made to wade to windscreen depth with suitable preparation, & they were powered by a petrol V8
(essentlally the same engine as the early Range Rovers)

DRM

Guru
It can be done
In the 50s/60s/70s' the British Army had waterproofing manuals/equipment for most of their vehicles
Even the Martian, could be prepared, & that was running a R-R B81, a 6.5 litre(?) petrol
I've seen photographs in military vehicle magazines (pre internet!) of them in wading tests, with water over the bonnet

Land Rovers 101FCs, could be also made to wade to windscreen depth with suitable preparation, & they were powered by a petrol V8
(essentlally the same engine as the early Range Rovers)

But that’s for a very, very specially prepared vehicle, yes the MOD did prep vehicles for wading, but my understanding was that bridging would be the main form of crossing rivers had WW3 broken out in the Cold War

Top Bottom