Marketing Over Function

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
Have a look at this video of Kenilworth ford in flood, from 1m12 to 2m43 there's a 4x4 driving through it.

It's 3 feet deep, which you'd think might be enough to float it, but hey, it's got a snorkel so it's obviously designed for this sort of stuff. Isn't it? Well watch him open the door at the far side and empty all the water out. :rolleyes:

So there's no point in the snorkel then, just a marketing gimmick designed to appeal to the sort who think it looks cool.

gbb

Legendary Member
Have a look at this video of Kenilworth ford in flood, from 1m12 to 2m43 there's a 4x4 driving through it.

It's 3 feet deep, which you'd think might be enough to float it, but hey, it's got a snorkel so it's obviously designed for this sort of stuff. Isn't it? Well watch him open the door at the far side and empty all the water out. :rolleyes:

So there's no point in the snorkel then, just a marketing gimmick designed to appeal to the sort who think it looks cool.

Not entirely. The snorkel is only attached to the engine air intake to prevent water inrush to the engine, result, catastrophic damage.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Isn't the snorkel to supply air to the engine and stop water being sucked-in?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
We used to regularly wade Land Rovers in the military up to wheel depth, the snorkel was there to ensure that the engine kept going. The "relaxed" fit of the doors (worsened by years of grunt abuse) was there to ensure that the driver and passenger had wet boots and trousers for a good few hours... it was just an occupational hazard.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Sorry, but as a said 4x4'r and having owned and used snorkel equiped vehicles in water that came upto my shoulders, I have to point out that you have spectacularly missed the point of a correctly fitted snorkel.

However, I will concede that they are frequently fitted by the kind of person that thinks they look cool and have no idea of or intention to use it correctly. There was even a Landrover Discovery knocking about my area for a while that had a snorkel which matched nicely with his heavily tinted windows and 22" rims with super skinny low profile tyres :laugh:

Jody

Stubborn git
When it is really deep you have to open the doors to let the water in so the vehicle sinks and you get some traction :laugh:

My mates V8 defender cut out crossing a river. We had to open the doors and let the river run through the car before it was recovered.

Luckily the water was low enough that it didn't quite reach the carbs but it was close.

Can understand needing to cross a river in an emergency but deliberately crossing and getting the inside soaking wet to prove the effectiveness of snorkels §is next level silliness.

I haven't seen ford before, but not a fan of the video/editing with the slo mo and music over the top. This channel is much better for watching people get stuck in a ford: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCamiAALTPQs-fU0g9OfaJpQ

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Can understand needing to cross a river in an emergency but deliberately crossing and getting the inside soaking wet to prove the effectiveness of snorkels §is next level silliness.

Indeed, cock-womblery of the highest order, also include driving past a PC who presumably advised against it (as she then gets on the radio), potentially causing a needless call out for emergency service had it gone tits up. the current isn't that strong, but if the vehicle starts to float it quite easy for it to get swept with the current and trapped.

Top Bottom