Masking tape welded to glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I've been painting some garage doors with glass lights in them. I masked the panes off to stop them being covered in paint, but now I can't get it off without leaving gummy residue on the glass which is a bugger to shift.

Can anybody suggest something to remove the gum without affecting the paint?

gbb

Legendary Member
Solvent cleaner (electrical cleaner, general purpose cleaner, pvc cleaner..almost any will do) will break down the glue but not sure about the paint. You can buy aerosol cans of label remover...that will obviously break down the glue but again...the paint ?

If I used either, I'd probably apply it to a cloth or similar to prevent too much cross contamination to the paint.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I always keep a bottle of isopropyl alcohol in the house for that sort of thing. Usually works.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
A blow-torch might shift it (but there could be 'collateral damage") :okay:

I work at a printers and we use isopropyl alcohol and methyl ethyl ketone (don't try and get or use this) at different ends of other things.. If the residue is strong then alcohol will do little, we have recently started using some strong double sided tape for a process which leaves a lot of residue, and after getting some aerosol canisters from planet x recently as they were much cheaper than normal - I have to say that their jobsworth brake disk cleaner is awesome for this purpose... And it doesn't kill you quite as quick as MEK either..

Top Bottom