Masking tape welded to glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Use a cold chisel, roughly the same width as the residue, angle it at about 20 degree to the glass and get cracking with a hammer, be gone in 2 mins.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I work at a printers and we use isopropyl alcohol and methyl ethyl ketone (don't try and get or use this) at different ends of other things..

I worked as an Ink Mixer during the fuel crisis in the early seventies and we used to add MEK and Ethyl Alcohol to the tanks of our cars and bikes to supplement the scarce petrol. You could get away 2/1 petrol/solvent mix in the much cruder engines of the day, which would probably be more than enough to knacker a modern engine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I worked as an Ink Mixer during the fuel crisis in the early seventies and we used to add MEK and Ethyl Alcohol to the tanks of our cars and bikes to supplement the scarce petrol. You could get away 2/1 petrol/solvent mix in the much cruder engines of the day, which would probably be more than enough to knacker a modern engine.

A mate of mine was a paint sprayer, he used 'thinners'.

As for the residue I'd make sure the paint was good and hard then use White Spirit.

tamiya

If gummy residue is directly on glass (with no paint under it), if it's flat glass you can scrape it with a razorblade then cleanup with acetone.

However if the tape has left gummy residue over a painted area, it'll mean it's been applied before that paint has fully cured &/or solvents from the sunsequent paint coat has eaten in. Usually means sand back & refinish.

A mate of mine was a paint sprayer, he used 'thinners'.

Still happening a lot more recent than Suez crisis! Petrol stations in Melbourne & Sydney have been caught not long ago adulterating fuel with toluene solvent - just google. :whistle:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I had to clean the glue left behind from a label on a jar. Everything I tried merely pushed the residue around the surface until I tried my newly purchased Barkeeper's Friend. Applied some of the powder to a damp sponge and rubbed in the paste to the residue. It was gone in about 20 seconds.

Top Bottom