Massive Investment In Cycling Announced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Well, just the first random 3 thoughts to hit me:
(a) It's clearly not enough, in fact let's be more frank, it's not even a good start with noble but unrealistic intentions.
(b) If it's more painted lines on a road, I'd rather we didn't bother. Nothing saddens me more than seeing "cycle lanes" with cars parked in them leaving them unusable... what was the point. I'd rather just ride on the same bit of road without the complication of councils claiming they did their bit, or the angry van driver shouting "there's a f*ckin' cycle lane!" at me without even seeing the irony of his rant.
(c) Boris has a proven track record of lying, not just a bit, but rather a lot, so even this poor start is extremely unlikely to happen.

icowden

Veteran
My least favourite is the London "draw some lines and send the cyclist the wrong way up a one way street. Can't see that going wrong anywhere..."

dodgy

Spend the money on a massive public service announcement on all channels and run it for about 6 months with a simple message on how roads are funded, end the Road Tax thing forever. That would be of great benefit to a lot of cyclists.

lane

Veteran
We probably paid them about £35m to do it - given that we are net contributors to the EU.

But I'm sure they enjoyed lots of long meetings, and even longer lunches, on the difference.

Don't expect too much to change. Where I live a cycle bridge over the Trent was demolished due to being unsafe. They then had a big consultation and design project which spent the whole budget. The actual bridge got built ten or more years later. Substantially over specified (size wise) given the use it gets.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Tories spending tens of billions on trains, buses, cycling, public transport infrastructure. The utter, utter bastards.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My least favourite is the London "draw some lines and send the cyclist the wrong way up a one way street. Can't see that going wrong anywhere..."
It mostly works. It's very widespread in Cambridge. And of course some people will do it anyway. I think it may even be worth introducing a blanket exception and make councils apply to the DfT to ban contraflow cycling, similar to how STOP signs have to get specific approval. If it's almost everywhere and advertised as such, most drivers will stop being dicks about it in the few places it's used.

Top Bottom