Massive Investment In Cycling Announced...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cambridge is the only UK city I've seen ticketed manned bike parking, under the Lion Yard shopping centre, behind John Lewis. Charged, whereas I think most Dutch cities provide it free, don't they?
Most dutch cities provide some sort of free parking, with more than 4 bicycle capacity(more like at least 50), however the ''bike safes'' i was referring to are usually charged but that usually also means it is insured. I'm buying only really cheap bikes nowadays because otherwise it just gets stolen.

I'm really not a fan of cyclepaths. Shared with pedestrians and dogs, which is just as dangerous as riding on the pavement. Lost priority at every side road. Thoroughly glassed in the chavvier areas. Not salted in winter.

The worst thing is that they make riding on the road more dangerous, because of "punishment passes" and abuse from irate drivers who think you should be on the path. The first 5 miles of the Dunwich Dynamo are absolutely horrible now.
When i say cycle-path i don't mean those shared ones, i mean a dedicated wide cycle path that they also salt in the winter because it's more than wide enough for the a salt truck or fan to ride on. Unfortunately i haven't seen those in my wide area, a small dedicated cycle path that isn't riddle with either potholes, mud because tarmac is to expensive, or bumps from tree roots is a challenge, they few that are ok-ish but they are maybe 1mile long but i'm afraid even that is a stretch.

Drago

Legendary Member
There is a culture in this country with regards to obtaining a Driving Licence. You are taught how to drive, You are taught theory and hazard perception and you are taught even how to perform basic checks on your car, fluids and what not and are tested on all these. But the moment you have that 'you have passed' moment, it all goes out of the window and it's a free for all. Id say from personal observation about 80% of motorists refuse to indicate, many develop road rage and a raging desire to get past that Cyclist or Bus, whatever the cost maybe... Even as driving tests have become more robust also with the inclusion of theory, it really hasn't helped at all. I think education cannot answer this, it is ingrained in our society. There could be an argument perhaps that year on year up until recent years road safety has improved, but i argue that it is because car technology has improved and not that driving standards have increased because it is my opinion and has gotten worse...
Worse than not indicating is those who indicate as a substitute for looking, which is 99% of those who do actually indicate.

I wonder if he actually sent someone over to Holland to see how it should be done :smile:

I recall a story of some Dutch infrastructure designers being invited to the UK; the local authority proudly showed them some shiny new new cycle infrastructure on a busy junction.
To the delight of the attending cycling campaigners the Dutch response was "This is the sort of thing we use as an example of how not to do it..."

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I recall a story of some Dutch infrastructure designers being invited to the UK; the local authority proudly showed them some shiny new new cycle infrastructure on a busy junction.
To the delight of the attending cycling campaigners the Dutch response was "This is the sort of thing we use as an example of how not to do it..."
Great quote and sounds a typically witty Dutch response!

We've cycled in the Netherlands and Denmark and it's difficult returning here, knowing what is available and attainable.

I took my father for a 4 day tour of Flanders and his prominent memory is "I can't get used to them (cars) giving way to us."

UK car driver habits and behaviour may be the more difficult part to change: recently, I was overtaken by a silver BMW car on a sharp blind bend.
There was a zero % chance that driver could've known another vehicle was approaching, but it was 10 seconds of time too much to wait, behind a bicycle.

If we were to adopt a presumed liability policy here in Britain, would we start looking out for our more vulnerable citizens, sharing the streets & lanes with us?

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Well, Grant Shapps the Transport Secretary did specifically say this:

“Public transport and active travel will be the natural first choice for our daily activities.
"We will use our cars less and be able to rely on a convenient, cost-effective and coherent public transport network.”

Until people do use their cars less then there is going to be no appetite to act upon Mr Shapp's words in my opinion unless they have something up their sleeves. However, there has been no transport policy that i have come across to date that has actively encouraged me out of my car and on to a bike. I suppose those that live in London or in other congestion charge zone areas may have been persuaded somewhat out of their cars but way not enough. Taxation and tax breaks such as a C2W scheme or increasing taxes on motoring has had little effect to the overall picture, particularly outside of the M25. I think it comes down to 2 things. Firstly, a person needs to DECIDE to get off their arses and give it a go and secondly, cycling infrastructure needs a rethink to make it more appealing for those that do fear for their road safety which i'd rather suspect is a leading reason behind many not doing it.

As you rightly point out the Netherlands have done it right, but it's something that they have been at for decades now. How serious is our government in using our cars less? I doubt not very. We'll see...

Drago

Legendary Member
Despite the wonderful words from Mr Shapps, we're liable to find the cupboard is bare for a generation in order to pay for the damage to the economy wrought by C-19.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just need bigger fines for motoring offences.
Have to catch them first ;)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Despite the wonderful words from Mr Shapps, we're liable to find the cupboard is bare for a generation in order to pay for the damage to the economy wrought by C-19.
Which means we can't afford not to spend the millions on cycling infrastructure instead of the billions on motorways.

classic33

Leg End Member
Which means we can't afford not to spend the millions on cycling infrastructure instead of the billions on motorways.
Only if you'd be willing to share it with cargo cycles, travelling slower than you, and not expect them to get out of your way.

Top Bottom